SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

5mph bumpers actually do their job...

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  P50GT 
#1 ·
I just had someone hit my car from behind while in line picking up food. It was probably karma getting me for choosing fast food but i was late getting my dog to the Vet. It was hard enough to make a loud noise and jostle the car, but the bumper did its job. I got out very upset and was happy to find no damage. There may be a tiny scuff but nothing that can't be buffed out. So many things could have easily been broken on the rear of this car, so it was great to see that nothing was.

She claimed her foot fell off the brake but it had to have fallen onto the accelerator and I could see from the front of her car this was not the first time it had happened. Be safe out there folks!

#2 ·
Did you check under the bumper cover? The material underneath is designed to deform to absorb the impact and may not perform the same the next time. They're much like crash helmets which must be replaced after a fall.

#3 ·
I don't know a way to check without removing the bumper, which I'm not going to do. My car is going into the dealer on Tuesday so I'll chat with them about it. I'm not too worried about it.

#6 ·
Hit the scuff with some light compound, then Meguiars 3 step. All good. Had a Boxer front paw the rear door on my R today, gRRRRRR. Scratches all gone.

#7 ·
I'm going to have to try that out, thanks. I found about a 10 inch surface scratch on my rear quarter panel the other day that has been bugging me. I'm getting the entire car wrapped soon, so worrying about scratches will be a thing of the past.

#10 ·
I'm going back and forth between a few colors. Deciding if I want to go stealth or flashy. I'm leaning towards stealth as I have enough speeding tickets. I already decided I'm going dark with my wheels.

#9 ·
I had the entire front of the car wrapped 1 day after I took delivery of the car, as the New England winter roads are notorious for chipping and dinging new cars! Could not be happier!!! You really have to look very hard to see any seams. I had the front, the front quarter panels, both mirrors, and the hood done. Well worth it! Car does not have a single chip on it yet (knock on wood!!) after a close inspection, and looks amazing. Care is super easy too, just do what you would normally do! I'm bringing her in for a full detail later this month, and can't wait to see the results!

I have beautiful RB so I got a clear wrap. Highly recommend it!!!

#16 ·
Nice color. Should go with anthracite rims.

But after the RS500 no more wrap for me. After ~2 years it starts to peel off
Wraps have gotten better. The ones now are warrantied for 4 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.