SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Known bug in Premium Sound settings

11K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  Marc Collins 
#1 ·
As stated in attached Technical Journal, Volvo is still working on a solution for this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting. I did not see this (or may have skipped it when announced). I just went out to check my company car and it has not been affected. I guess it is pretty random.

#3 ·
My P* does it when I turn off the engine and restart it after about 5 min.
The surround sound returns to it default setting. Kind of strange, as all the other sound settings remain.:rolleyes:

#4 ·
Ive been wondering about that problem on my car. Hope that they get it sorted soon.

#10 ·
I just had the last software update done yesterday and my car does not have this bug. I was just playing around with the Surround Sound Setting and honestly couldn't tell a difference. What is the setting actually changing?

Slightly on topic: Does anyone have a good EQ setting that they use?

#13 ·
rebelde azul; said:
Looks like
Thanks for the pic
No problem. As I said in my previous post, I can't tell the difference of what the setting is changing. Now this could be a case of my hearing not being the best from going to too many concerts(about to head to one in a couple of hours).

#14 · (Edited)
So what people genrally hear is a better spatial orientation with respect to the soundstage... Instruments are more clearly seperated form voices and from each other ect.... But this depends ofcourse on the level of surround and such.

Personally, for almost all songs (except a few) I prefer to turn surround off because I don't enjoy my music going through many filters. It is my understanding that the surround sound takes into consideration the specific vehicle acoustics and tries its best to create a better soundstage. This is already considered by most audio producers and mixers to a certain extent these days so you're not gaining too too much IMO. I have realized that with surround on, it distorts earlier when cranking the volume, especially in the bassy regions.

Once this car has some years on it (4-5) I will sound deaden the doors as I did with my previous S40... I think that it would lead to a much more fulfilling listening experience if everything isn't rattling as it does now.

What confuses me sometimes is the construction of the large door pocket that resonates wildly on louder bass notes because of it's generally large volume and the fact that if one runs their finger along the inside edge, you can see that they are not fused, but rather superimposed one ontop of the other and the connection point is much farther( the point where the top edge of the outside of the pocket meets with the door). Was thinking of supergluing this, but wondered if perhaps it was done intentionally to act as a chamber that amplifies certain bass frequency through resonation.

:rolleyes:

#19 ·
Guys, I have this same issue with my new XC60. If this isn't a systemic issue with all HK units, then we should be able to get a new stereo unit or have the car re-flashed. It makes absolutely zero sense that some '15.5 cars have the issue and others don't! The dealer should at least attempt a re-flash to standard or base to see it that works. My dealer service only repeated the same message as stated on the TJ above. Sorry, but waiting for Volvo to determine the root cause is not sufficient! This would only suffice if ALL cars had the issue!

Has anyone heard anything recently or perhaps their dealer attempted to re-flash with the current software release?

Thanks!

#20 ·
Has anyone heard of there being a fix for this yet? It's ridiculous that I have to dive into the sound menu settings and make adjustments every time I start the car!

#21 ·
It's sorted on my car. Must have been updated as part of my last service.

#22 ·
That's good news! Did they say anything about it specifically, rectifying via flash update, or was it a pleasant surprise?

#24 ·
Good point! Azzikk, did Service reference a Technical Journal on your invoice, or did they just perform a general flash update?

Yannis, feel free to chime in please... I've been waiting months for resolution on this. It's my wife's daily driver and she's not at all pleased.

#25 ·
Don't know any of the details, the American wife took it in before I got back to the states.

#27 ·
So I should trick my dealer service into doing a proper job? I don't understand the "clock losing time.." comment? LOL...I already provide them the TJ numbers, other info I gather from here. I tell them to update my software with the latest releases and they look at me like I'm speaking bloody Chinese! Why is it that Audi does these updates as a routine, yet Volvo needs to have "Volvo Engineering" online to hold their hand for every little thing? Frustrating!

#34 ·
Sorry Guys, I thought it was fixed, but it went back to the base setting when I checked the next morning. I guess the car wasn't "completely cycled off" when I checked at the dealer? Bizarre. Back to the drawing board.

#35 ·
Too bad...��

#44 ·
Did they try TJ29868? I had same issue, but after the dealer downloaded software per TJ29868, mine works perfectly.

I hope this helps.

Yas
Yes, I told them (I have to research and instruct them for some reason) to do the OBD flash, referencing the TJ29868. I'm not confident that they followed my request or the corrective procedure as prescribed on the TJ. Honestly, I'm not confident in anything they do beyond changing oil.

#38 ·
Haven't been paying too much attention to this thread, but I have the issue of no surround...just sound stage and center. Not surprised since my front seat cushions are installed wrong. With this and the A pillar rattle, it's time to pay my dealer a visit.

#39 ·
For confirmation, have you selected CD, Sirius or iPod?
Surround only appears and works with these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.