SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Front Seat Cushions

10K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  Marc Collins 
#1 ·
I think my front seat cushions may have been installed on the wrong sides. From looking at other interior pics, the leather should be on the outside. Mine has nubuck on the outside and leather on the inside. Does anyone else have their seats like this?

See less See more
#3 ·
That definitely looks wrong from the P* models I saw last fall.

#4 ·
I think the driver and passenger side cushions just need to be swapped. They both have leather on the inside, next to the center console. I'm assuming the nubuck is supposed to be next to the console for better durability.

#7 ·
Your seats cushions were put on the wrong sides. The leather should be towards the door and the Nubuck towards the center console. The way yours are, could lead to excess wear over time as you get in and out of the car.

#10 ·
That's what I figured. One more thing to add to the list for the 10k dealer service. I also have a trim piece around the passenger side rear window that needs to be fixed. I guess mine was built on a bad day at the plant...

#19 ·
Can't speak for the OP, but I'm inclined to leave it. I'm an alcantara junkie anyway, and in all honesty, I may have never noticed even though I am detail oriented when it comes to cars...it looks pretty natural in the flesh vs. something that screams incorrect installation.

#18 ·
Along a small line of quality blurbs
Added to the ohlins having different settings in each corner of x number of cars
And no techs with video /hands on training to
Adjust
What is around the next corner for these 750
World wide issue

#24 ·
If you are the cup holder user type, might not be bad for leather to take on any spillage vs. Nubuck.

Thanks for keeping me honest on nomenclature. I have a car with Alcantara, and I tend to use that universally even though there are obviously different manufacturers/branding (e.g. MB Dinamica). Kind of like asking for a Kleenex...what if it's Puffs? ;)

#26 ·
The cars does have Nubuck...I think some car reviewers have provided misinformation from time to time, including one that claimed Nubuck is Swedish for Alcantara :D It's origins appear to be leather, with the differentiation created in how it's prepped, so it is inherently different relative to the synthetic ones like Alcantara

#32 ·
P50 is correct. And aside from their naming convention, what does your touch say? To my hands/butt says it's artificial/synthetic. True Nubuck would be notably different. I personally love the aesthetics and functionality, I don't see it as a drawback and would spec my car this way...but that is subjective, and I understand why people would want the choice of full leather.

#34 · (Edited)
Synthetic Nubuck and Alcantara are actually used for durability reasons. You don't see real Nubuck in cars, outside of a Rolls Royce. Real Nubuck/Suede is one of the most difficult materials to care for. Real Nubuck also is much smoother, so doesn't have the gripping properties that you want with a sport seat. The only disappointment someone could have is that it is not branded Alcantara, but the quality seems to be on the same level so there really is nothing to be unhappy about. $300k+ Ferraris come with Alcantara/Nubuck Textile in them.

#33 ·
P50GT--Thank you! That's very helpful.

+1 car reviewers don't know what they're talking about a lot of the time. Can't blame them much when it comes to the P* because it's such an odd and rare car.

#35 · (Edited)
No problem.

I don't necessarily agree with regards to the reviewers. I am specifically talking about the professionals, not some random blogger. If someone is doing this for a living, it is their professional responsibility to do the necessary research before and after getting behind the wheel of the car. If the car is rare, I think it is even more important to do the research to get your facts straight. With a car as rare as this, someone went out of their way to give you access to it, so you should be doing the professional thing and doing the proper amount of research to get your facts straight. Instead too many "journalist" treat it as a joy ride and just spout off some "facts" that are so far from the truth that it does more harm than good to the people that went out of their way to get you access to the car. Anyone with a press car, has a direct point of contact at Volvo or Polestar to answer any technical questions. I watched this happen over and over again while working at Tesla to the point that it made me lose respect for auto journalists as a whole.

#36 ·
Alcantara/Nubuck Textile
I don't care WHAT is called. I WANT those seats! Regular leather too slippery for me, but try getting a entry level premium automobile ( $35-$50K ) with nice cloth vs regular leather.
Maybe in a few years Katskin etc will have this as an aftermarket replacement option.

#37 ·
I just hope any guys detailing my car don't put leather care on the fobuck inserts of my seats! That'll seriously ruin my day; and his tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.