SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Dumb electronics questions

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  P50GT 
#1 ·
We'll see based on the answers whether the electronics are dumb or my questions are dumb ;)

1) I have selected the door lock option to open all doors, not just the driver's door. This works when the fob or manual unlocking is used (finger on door handle). Why does it suddenly not work when the companion Automatic unlocking (walk near the car and it unlocks) option is selected? How do you get both to work at the same time?

2) Is there really no car-based "favourites" phone book? You have to wade through dozens or hundreds of contacts to call commonly used numbers? Or you have to hope you called them or received a call recently? A car-based phone book allows a short form name and for any phone connected (a spouse's for example) to access the numbers and call them.

3) Any way to control what temperature the automatic defrost or steering wheel heater gets activated if you select those options? There should be.

4) Any other options for the lane detect warning besides the audible chirping that overrides the audio system? For example, not to override the audio system, or a small vibration in the steering wheel? These should be options.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Not dumb questions, especially because I don't know what #1 is.

1) Companion Automatic unlocking is news to me. I only knew about unlocking by grabbing the handle.

2) Use Voice Commands. This is the one thing I have consistently gotten Voice Commands to work for. Just hit the Voice Button, Say "Call Contact" and Say the Name.

3) Fair weather here sorry

4) I immediately shut this completely off once I got the car. Very happy it stays off and doesn't come back on each time the car does.

#3 ·
Just to be clear, it's the companion to all doors unlock "automatic unlocking" not "Companion Automatic Unlocking." I couldn't figure out why the *&%&%@ car was locking every time I would press the door handle button (same procedure I was used to for years with my previous cars) until I realized it was automatically unlocking momentarily before I the button and I was then re-locking the car...frustration. Once I realized it unlocks just by walking close by, I simple open the door like a normal car door handle without pressing the lock/unlock button. Is my car the only one that works this way?

Call contact is a pain in the arse if you have more than one number for these contacts.

I always like being reminded that some people live in a perpetual dream land of moderate climate. But we have all the water ;)

I, too, won't hesitate to shut everything off, but BLIS and other features are able to be set and used in relatively low-profile ways. So should this. I must have been confusing it with other cars, or it's what you get when you have the full park assist (we don't), but I was sure it was a vibrating wheel that was the indicator. Most other cars with this feature have the vibrating wheel as at least an option.

#8 ·
To 4:
The S/V60 with pre VEA (new 4 Zylinder) engines are equipped with a electro hydrolic steering. This system doesn't allows vibration or active steering by LDW (lane departure warning).
The new, fully electric system, allowes both. You'll have the choice in every new VEA T5/6, vibration and/or active steering.
The "old" in line six can't have everything, but offers great power and sound ��

#13 ·
Okay, so looked through the setting and have at least one answer for you. The Automatic Locking Setting is not what you think it is. This setting is actually doing the exact thing you do not want. This Auto locks the car when you start to drive. Uncheck the box and the car will not self lock when you drive (like your wife's car).

Additionally, the unlocking works as I suspected. Pulling the handle is what is triggering the system. There is a proximity sensor that senses the key to engage the unlocking mechanism when you pull the handle. It is very clear to see that the car is not unlocking just by walking up to it because the mirrors would be turning out, which they don't. The noise you hear may be the sensors engaging. If you have your "Doors Unlock" set to "All Doors" then all your doors should unlock regardless of what handle you pull. The door are not going to unlock without pulling a handle or using the Fob. If you have this set to "All doors" and it is not working that way, I would suggest changing the setting and moving it back like I did with my mirrors.

I realized that my car only requires pulling the handle once to get in. Pulling it twice used to happen and was very annoying, but has not been happening since my software upgrade.

#14 ·
Automatic Unlock

It works by proximity as I have said about five times. I only have to walk near the car and it unlocks the door nearest to me. Then I can pull the handle of the unlocked door and enter.

The only difference is that if I use the proximity unlock it only unlocks the door nearest to me, not all four. If I use the touch sensor, it will unlock all four doors, but since the car is already unlocked before I touch the sensor, touching it re-locks the door I am near. If I then touch it again, it will unlock all four doors as per the setting I have chosen in the menu. Hence my original question about these two features not working well together. I am sure this is a security thing by design, but I don't like it.

I always turn Automatic Locking off in any car I own or am using (if possible). Another feature I hate and we don't need in non-crime-infested Canada.

#17 ·
One more question, and sorry if this is a dumb one, but how do you auto sync the dual temperature settings? I cannot figure it out, and the owners manual is silent on it. I've read that this feature was not available on Volvo's, but I thought for sure I used to have it synced on my S60P*.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.