SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

The P* mystery continues

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  P50GT 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new in town. Thanks to everyone - so much great information here. I took delivery of my 2015.5 S60, P* about 2 weeks ago (32 of 40). Just a couple of quick thoughts. In many discussion I keep hearing, gee 60K+ for this car? Auto reviewers want to point out the BMW M3 starts at 62K. Oh, so you want some of the options which are standard the Volvo. Well you can't get all of them on this car, but for 15K - 20K you can get most of them. And I understand they are different cars, the M is a great track car. But if you want want a car that delivers power, comfort, intelligent AWD, safety, handling/breaking, styling and uniqueness, the price is very fair. It seems the people that purchase one of these are extremely satisfied. I am. I think the extreme limited distribution adds to the confusion and mystery of this car. That's fine with me. So a guy in a brand new Vette pulls up next to me, shouts over the head of his girlfriend-what's that thing got in it? I promptly winked at his girlfriend, gave it a little gas and said, V12, 800HP. Ooooohhh. Who would know?
Thanks guys, Dave

#2 ·
I have had 4 "official" M cars and 1 unofficial one, including 2 M3s. In fact, I still have a BMW M with a cult following in the garage...a 2011 1 Series M. You are correct in characterizing the Polestars and M3 as two different vehicles not necessarily having the same mission. The media loves to push whatever narrative it wants, and the one they have seemingly latched onto is that Polestar is Volvo's attempt to be AMG or BMW M. With comparable "starting prices", it furthers the comparison. I think consensus from those that have researched the product's development to a far greater extent than the media is that wasn't Volvo's intent. The new M3 is unbelievably brilliant and, in my opinion, is exceptional value for what you get now that they can be had for $500 over invoice (and assuming you show restraint on options). That said, it didn't meet much of the criteria I valued for my next vehicle...a performance oriented wagon, AWD, a new experience, more rarity, solid amenities for daily driver duty, solid warranty (certified), etc, etc. The M3 is iconic...Polestars are the polar opposite. Just tell someone you sold your AMG for a Volvo and they almost feel bad for you (which is what I did). But that reinforces what the Polestar is...the coolest and most capable car that no one knows about. If you are satisfied with your purchase, as most here are, mission accomplished!

#4 ·
It's not a mystery to people that own one. I no longer tell people what it is, I just enjoy it.

#5 ·
I'm not too concerned with other peoples opinions about the P* anymore. It is a rare car that I suppose only a few more people know of than those who actually own one. You're not going to see P* on every corner when your stuck at a red light, but you will see a Camry or an Accord and maybe even a few BMW's. Which is fine by me, never did like fitting in line with every other car out there. I've decided that there is no such thing as a "perfect" car. There will always be something that handles better, accelerates faster, gets better gas mileage, is cheaper, is stronger, is more popular, etc... There is only a perfect car for you, which is actually what the P* is for me. I'm not defensive or offensive about it. It just fits me perfectly. If someone wants to know about the P* I'll almost turn into a giddy salesman talking about all of the features in it, just because I love driving it. But I don't become defensive about it if someone complains to me about the cost or asks why I didn't get an Audi or a BMW instead of just a Volvo. I suppose if I just wanted a cheaper car I could have just bought a Nissan Sentra. That's cheap right? But it's not all about the cost. Sure it would have been nice if it was cheaper, but everything would be nicer if they were cheaper. Buying the P* was a value in my eyes, it's a personal choice that I am very happy with. The only issue I personally have right now is the lack of knowledge from my one and only local dealer about the vehicle.

I think i just typed the opposite of tl;dr of maddens reply. :facepalm:

#8 ·
+1

And I love switching between Sport and Drive. Confuses other drivers on where that awesome exhaust sound is coming from... surely it can't be from that Volvo. :D

#9 ·
+1

And I love switching between Sport and Drive. Confuses other drivers on where that awesome exhaust sound is coming from... surely it can't be from that Volvo. :D
I never get tired of doing this.

#14 ·
I just leave it in drive when my wife is in the car, she does not like the "race car" sound in S. I am so glad Polestar engineered in the quiet mode in D and the more aggressive sound in S mode. One of the many things I love about this car.

#17 ·
My wife rides in mine all the time, and has driven it several times with strict instructions about parking, etc, she refuses to put it in S mode because she doesn't like the "race car" sound. If we go somewhere we take the V60P, unless we go downtown, then we take her Audi, I don't care if the Audi get's dinged in a parking garage. She has curbed all her wheels and has numerous parking lot dings in her Audi already, she's not very careful about cars. So I cringe a little whenever she takes my car because she needs the extra room to put stuff, but to her credit she is a lot more careful with my car than she is her own.

#21 · (Edited)
What's funny is not only do they perfectly match in color they are almost dead even on the performance side too.

From the 997 Spec sheet:

They have the same 0-60, the Porsche is actually slightly faster to 124, and the Porsche has a higher top speed but they are all very close for cars that weigh about 1,000lbs different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.