SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Who sold their wheels?

23K views 107 replies 34 participants last post by  Bunnspeed 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw a photo a little while back of a Volvo XC60 with Polestar wheels. I also saw an S60 or 80 with polestar wheels. So who's selling them?

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah, I'm not overly pleased with how Volvo is selling out... they sold these cars as limited edition... keep it up and they'll be looking at a lawsuit. False advertising, etc.

I know I felt pressure when I bought mine because I was told they weren't going to make any more, ever. So, in fact, part of my purchase decision was based on the fact that I couldn't get a 2016 model. That's not really cool.

I'm wondering if I would have waited if I had known all the facts.... I kinda wanted a white one lol.

#7 ·
Don't be such a child
Cadillac sold the 1976 Eldorado as the LAST GM Convertible they would ever build and many rushed to buy those giants (incl. me),
to make sure they had something collectible and would make the BIG bucks a few years later!
Luckily I sold it in 6 months with 800 miles for a profit but I didn't sue Caddy when Camaro convertibles came back in 1982

#9 ·
First of all, don't come in here calling people children. It's uncalled for and contirbutes nothing. Secondly, your comparison is not equal. The equal comparison would be them building a 1977 Eldorado. The fact is that Volvo made promises to sell cars and then broke them. If someone bought the car for the intention of collectibility, they have a very legitimate reason to be upset and even seek legal means of reimbursement.

While the limited nature of the car played into my purchase decision, the technical merits of the car are what won me over and continue to win me over. I personally just don't like being lied to. The entire purchase experience was not a positive experience and this just adds to it.

#8 · (Edited)
Despite Volvo's initial claims, I knew people would eventually be able to get Polestar parts. If I had a V60RD instead of a V60P, I would add the Polestar rear wing, front splitters, front Brembo calipers, 2 pc rotors, rear sway bar, strut bar,etc. to my RD. The parts are readily available online. Does it bother me, not really, and I certainly understand people wanting the parts for their Volvo's, in their shoes I would do the exact same thing. In fact, in a certain respect, I actually think it's good for the brand, people get to personalize their vehicles with OEM parts and get a cooler looking car. I do, however, wish Volvo had done something for the limited run of Polestars that was not easily duplicated, i.e. Polestar specific colors, flared fenders, different instrument cluster, something. I didn't buy the car as a collectible, I bought it to drive.

#11 ·
I will say it again, I didn't like the urgency that was placed upon me to buy my #31... the talk of it being sold out of state, how they'll never make another one, how there were people lining up, how I had better act quick or lose my chance etc etc.

Now, that being said, besides the bad vibe of basically being lied to, the car itself is fantastic. I bought the car to drive as well, and I'm really enjoying it... I hope Volvo learns to stick to their word next time. The very least they could have removed both launch colors from the option list for 2016. That would have been at least minimal effort to keep the original 120 people happy... but nothing I'm losing sleep over thats for sure.

#12 ·
Yes, I agree it was a bit of a stressful buying experience, there was an incredible sense of urgency involved, first I had one, then I didn't, then I did, that part was no fun. Volvo could have done this better.

#18 · (Edited)
Ummmm, the dealers don't have access to the tune, so I'm calling BS on this. They have the wheels, but that's all I'm willing to believe at this point. Polestar would have to do the tune. This is not the same as the P* Optimization that the dealers can do.

On the flip side, if this thing is legit, I'm interested to see how it drives. One of the keys to the handling of our cars is how squat they sit. This thing sitting so tall would make it a not so fun ride.

#19 ·
Ummmm, the dealers don't have access to the tune, so I'm calling BS on this. They have the wheels, but that's all I'm willing to believe at this point. Polestar would have to do the tune. This is not the same as the P* Optimization that the dealers can do.
Apparently the guy got clearance from Volvo to do the project and get what he needed. I guess money talks, lol! Frank from EST knows the owner and has all the details about the car.

#20 ·
I'm surprised Volvo would be onboard for such a thing considering they handicap the XC60 R Design with the P* tune to a 118mph Top Speed. Add to the list of big F U's to the people that actually bought Polestars.

#21 ·
It is interesting that he was able to get the P* tune applied to his pre-facelift XC60. Potentially, Volvo could offer an upgrade package for 60-series owners. Perhaps this was an experiment Volvo of Canada wanted to explore.

#22 ·
Considering Volvo of Canada sold what was it, 10 Polestars, I don't know why they would be wasting any resources on this. All they are accomplishing is pissing off the existing owners.

#24 ·
I'm from Belgium and can order Polestar parts from Holland.
Everything but the Polestar tune (the one for petrol and diesel engines) since this is not legal in my country...
I can understand that people (P* owners) get pissed over the exclusiveness that is being thrown out the window but then again ... if I owned a Polestar car I wouldn't worry too much about that :)
Just enjoy the car. It's not like every John Doe will drive one one day.
Just my 2 cents so please don't shoot me.

#27 ·
As I said in the rusty wheel thread, I called Volvo NA today about a list of issues. I'm waiting on a call back from a Supervisor. We all just need to speak up. I'm not really looking for much. Just an acknowledgment that they F'd up and figure out some level of making it right, fix the rust issues and stop selling parts that are back ordered to non-P* owners.

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
The owners outside North America have even more to be upset about as they paid significantly more than we did. I wish I had access to anything beyond Volvo NA, but it's a start.

#30 ·
No Polestar "tune" was done to that XC60 unless they mean the regular Polestar Optimization. Rims, turbocharger and intercooler were replaced. More turbo lag present (from what I heard, haven't driven it) but it supposedly pulls ok on the top end. Word is it's supposed to be dyno'd at some point.

#32 ·
I just spoke to Volvo NA Customer Care Management and not surprisingly they don't have the power to do anything. All they can do is submit a formal complaint to Sweden, which they did and hope that something is done. He did say that the more complaints they receive, the more likely that something is done (201-768-7300) . He did make it clear that Sweden's focus is on the XC90.

One interesting point is that the 2016 P* will not be numbered in the US, so that is different on ours, but not much.

#33 · (Edited)
Be happy that polestar sell these cars and will make more of them.
750 world wide during one year and 120 in US is still a very limited car. US is the only one that got numbers in there cars.
And futher more if it would stick to the limited versions US etc would have zero cars as the first run was on 50 Polestar cars only sold in Australia. (the first 50 is referded to Limited, the one on the market now hasn´t been refered to limited edition etc in sweden)
BMW etc dose this alot selling BMW M3 / BMW M5 limited editions in batches of 500.

BTW in Sweden they stated already in november 2013 that they where hopeing to sell 600-700 Polestar cars per year.
So that it would be a "one off" car isn´t something that has been said in Sweden if Volvo NA have said diffrente that sounds strange.
And yes all focus is on the XC90 in Sweden, seeing more of them on the streets the the polestars.

Having said all that i understand the frustration of the rims etc being sold to none polestar owners.
I did try to buy them in sweden aswell but its impossible to order them from the dealers (tested 3 diffrente) without being polestar owner.

#34 ·
You are missing the point Snowie. Exactly how many cars they build isn't what people are upset about. What people are upset about is that during the sales process we were all told one thing and now Volvo is doing something else. I was also told that Volvo planned to make more Polestar vehicles in the future but that the S/V60 in the configuration we were buying it was a 1 year thing as the focus was now on the Drive-E. This forced some people to make maybe not the best financial decisions in order to obtain what we thought were one time available cars.

The line that really pisses me off is the one about cutting production from "250 to 120 in the US to preserve the value for the customers that stepped up to purchase them". It sadly goes back to the sad days of say what ever you need to to sell the car. The problem is that these Sales people were fed Talking Points by Volvo and then Volvo just changed their mind later on. As there was a consistent message across the board, I hold Volvo responsible on this, not the dealers.

I am personally extra sensitive to this as I have a background in Sales and to me, my word is my bond. I find things like this sleazy and the main reason that my entire time at Tesla was spent fighting off the misconception that all auto sales people are scum. The reason Tesla customers love the company so much, is because they stand behind what they say.

#35 ·
P50GT, I understand the reasoning you say you're upset about. But honestly, does it change your enjoyment of the car?

If it does, then sell it now before it goes further down in value and recoup your loss.

If it doesn't change your enjoyment, move on and be happy that you have a numbered edition.

Anything else about this is just drama for drama's sake, at this point. Other than you drumming up more "support" for your cause so you can put pressure on Volvo.

I just don't see the point.

#36 ·
P50GT, I understand the reasoning you say you're upset about. But honestly, does it change your enjoyment of the car?

If it does, then sell it now before it goes further down in value and recoup your loss.

If it doesn't change your enjoyment, move on and be happy that you have a numbered edition.

Anything else about this is just drama for drama's sake, at this point. Other than you drumming up more "support" for your cause so you can put pressure on Volvo.

I just don't see the point.
I didn't start this thread, I'm just contributing to it. I just happened to be talking to Volvo about something else so also brought this up. What was happening was a bunch of actual Polestar owners were having a discussion about our purchase experience. If you don't want to hear about it, don't read the thread. What is it that you are trying to accomplish by commenting?

#44 ·
Here's an easy way to put it: I lost $20k because I traded my Cayenne in early on a car that I thought was going to be not offered anytime again. Does that sum it up enough for everyone?

I have a #31 on my steering wheel. I do not care about that.. I'm not keeping this car as a collector nor do I see any value over this one versus a 2016 P* in the same color. Unless there's something that I don't know about, like an engine change, etc etc. For now, anyone who stepped up, ordered early, etc etc got duped by Volvo. That's how it was in North America, your country may differ.

Would I have waited? Damn right. Do I regret it, not enough to sue. Beyond that... enjoy. I love the car... if I didn't, there'd be some hell to pay. Oh, and BTW- I will not trust anything Volvo says ever again. Fool me once....

#48 ·
Looks like VCNA or some of the Polestar dealers did a less than admirable job with messaging. I am sure it wasn't their intention to dupe customers with this process - any sales organization knows that bad word of mouth travels five times as fast as the good kind. Not that there would be any satisfaction at this point but have you called the folks who told you this?

Volvo wants to make money just like any company and since the first run was successful they are doing another one. It's unfortunate they led some folks to believe there would never be another run.

Volvo did not want unsold cars sitting on dealer's lots so they kept production limited. They learned that less on from the P2R - many of which were discounted pretty heavily due to manufacturing too many of them.

#47 ·
Roger that, was good times!

Sent using morse code from my iPad

#49 ·
In my opinion selling polestar parts to other volvo owners does not effect the desirability or exclusivity of the polstar. The polstar will always stand out no matter how many parts someone adds to a v60 it will always be a copy compared to the originals. BMW and Mercedes will sell wheels to anyone that wants to add AMG or M division wheels to their car. That in no way turns a 528i into an M5 or devalues the M5. Even if someone were to later put an M5 engine into a lower spec BMW it would still be a copy not worth nearly as much a factory built car.

Please be happy you have a very rare and special car and don't get too mad at people who just wish they had a car as cool as yours. Let them pretend they have limited production Polstar if they want to because I think everyone knows that there is a difference. Remember the saying about imitation and flattery. For as long as manufacturers have been making special edition cars there have been people building copies buick GNX popped into my head or any shelby mustang. Volvo is no exception

#50 ·
I think very few people have an issue with what you are describing. Our issues are mainly around messaging during the Sale, which already happened and the limited availability of parts. I just don't want to run into a situation where I bend a wheel after blowing a tire(unfortunately very possible with our setup) and have to wait extra long to get one because they have been selling them to anyone who walks through the door asking for them. This is my only car, so a broken part is a big issue for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.