SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What am I feeling under my left foot?

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rebelde azul 
#1 ·
When turning sharply, usually at very low speeds, about one quarter of the time, I can literally feel something binding or rubbing under the footwell.

At first, I thought the brake test jitter had gone crazy, but it's definitely driveline related, unless the brake check happens other than when initially driving away. I will take it in for repair, but just wanted to get any thoughts and experience here, first. Also waiting to make sure there aren't any other annoyances that need looking after.

I would say it feels like my old '87 Audi Quattro driveline binding if you forgot to unlock the centre or rear diff while driving on dry pavement (not that I ever did that, of course ;) ). But that didn't cause a commotion under foot, just a general shuddering in the car.

It feels like someone is under the car hitting the floor under my feet with a wooden stick. Only lasts a few seconds, even if you keep wheels cranked. But then it might recur once you centre the steering wheel.

And, it's been there since Day 1 of picking up the car. I realize now it is not going away, so time to deal with it.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is odd for a new car. If I had to guess, that sounds like a CV axle issue to me. Like you said, a driveline issue should be a shudder deal with different rotational velocities front to rear. The wooden stick impact in the floorboard makes me think axle bind... next to your foot. While I do have a couple degrees, neither is car mechanic.

#4 ·
When turning sharply, usually at very low speeds, about one quarter of the time, I can literally feel something binding or rubbing under the footwell.

At first, I thought the brake test jitter had gone crazy, but it's definitely driveline related, unless the brake check happens other than when initially driving away. I will take it in for repair, but just wanted to get any thoughts and experience here, first. Also waiting to make sure there aren't any other annoyances that need looking after.

I would say it feels like my old '87 Audi Quattro driveline binding if you forgot to unlock the centre or rear diff while driving on dry pavement (not that I ever did that, of course ;) ). But that didn't cause a commotion under foot, just a general shuddering in the car.

It feels like someone is under the car hitting the floor under my feet with a wooden stick. Only lasts a few seconds, even if you keep wheels cranked. But then it might recur once you centre the steering wheel.

And, it's been there since Day 1 of picking up the car. I realize now it is not going away, so time to deal with it.
Bump. Any resolution?

#5 ·
I am embarrassed to say, yes it is resolved. I am still in awe how this could even be possible, but luckily my mechanic is top-notch. It was the steering rack rubbing against the (non-Volvo) floor mat in the most bizarre manner that literally felt like something was swatting the underside of the car/mat. Avoiding contact between the two items solves the problem....doh!

The mats are a heavy, but flexible rubber. It still doesn't seem physically possible for that little contact to produce such a big effect, but he had seen many instances of this and it took him only a few seconds to identify it. I told him that I successfully adjusted the dampers at all four corners so he wouldn't think I was a complete idiot!!! :) (He doesn't. We have known each other since my very first Volvo V70).

#6 ·
Thanks for sharing. Will surely save someone else from chasing it.😉

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.