SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Polestar vs Porsche

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Pvdw 
#1 ·
Thought you might like an onboard video :rolleyes:

Standard P* on the Michelin supersport tyres, bit heavy around the track and a little short on power for the straights but nevertheless I had some serious fun trying to follow a buddy in his white 997 GT3 RS.

People were kind of :eek:, lots of questions afterwards... :D

On screen data is what I normally drive on track. The P* is my daily driver, forgot to chance before driving.

Hope you enjoy it, I sure did !

#2 ·
That was enjoyable! Thanks for posting. All GT3 RS's regardless of generation are track missiles so no surprises there. That Cayman also looked like a track weapon. What was surprising was how easily you kept up with and then passed that 911 Turbo. I'm guessing that guy was a very inexperienced driver. Spa is a super technical course, so bravo to you for having the cajones for taking your car out on it. You could definitely see the weight in a lot of the corners but overall very well done.

#5 ·
Brake fluid is the weakest point really, boiling after two three laps (that's why you see me going straight from time to time...
It's a heavy car really but once you throw in the front and hit the gas pedal, it will pull through squealing on all four tyres. Might not be able to hear it in the video but most turns were like that, I think the marschall's were ready with the yellow flag each time they heard me coming, thinking a car went off :)))
Transmission overheating message at the end of the video.
It's definitely no track toy but it holds up very well, you need to give it some time to cool down after a few hot laps really, I would say maximum 15 minutes full on and then 5 minutes cool down before starting over.
Great fun for an occasional track outing while surprising everyone present :)))

#12 · (Edited)
I think 15 Minutes full on is already too long for the car. I drove 2 laps Nordschleife in a row (lets say one lap 9 min) and the weight started to "produce" problems after one and a half lap. And there is no way 5 min cooldown is enough.
I would say you get the best out of the car for about 10 mins of hard driving and than you should take a break ofabout 20-30 mins.

But it all depends also on daily temperature and your style of driving (more or less aggressive) and of course the track itself.

#7 ·
It's Funny because I only know Spa from Watching F1 there and then Video Games (which are inaccurate in terms of speed in corners). But I'm watching you go around corners and I'm thinking, your doing 100kph.... the F1 cars are doing 300kph. Good god!
Anyway, pretty awesome. When I was on OSD I tried to talk the wife into letting me sign up for a track day at Spa, but she said I had the Ring and I wasn't getting 2 days of car stuff.

#9 ·
He posted this on a different thread...

Drove mine around Spa on Tuesday and adjusted to F8-R3.... It was good before but this is just amazing !?!
Will probably go back to F10-R5 for daily driving on infamous Belgian roads.

#13 ·
Your right, Gearbox started overheating after chasing the RS but the brake-issue is doable, just need to throw it in at faster speed then you normally would... Then again, the Ring doesn't allow the same margin of error ......
I ment to say, a 5min cooldown on track, so one full lap at mid speed, high gear, easy on brakes, then enter pit, take a brake and start over...

Yes, I've been driving on 8-3 for past few Days on Public roads, doable but the 10-5 is just a little more comfort and minimal performance or fun loss.

#14 ·
I put it in 3/3 for my drive to work last week just to compare. I dont know, how someone could drive this (dont know if 8/3 would be much more comfortable than 3/3, because I think the rear is what makes the difference) as a dailydriver. I mean in the end its still a Volvo and not a track tool.
For me, the setting would be too harsh on the Autobahn, also 10/5 feels too bouncy. I could consider this setting for daily driving if I had not to drive a lot on the Autobahn. But then again, how often do you have the opportunity to drive a real fun road, where you could use the potential of this setting? Its like you are driving 100 % in this harsh setting while there is only 5% of this time where you could really use it, while on the rest of the drive, its just uncomfortable.
So I adjusted it to 12/12. Its still not as soft as a normal car, but its okay, also for longer Autobahn trips.

#16 · (Edited)
Hi Foxy,

It's all about perception and expectations I guess. I usually ride alone, plenty of twisty roads around and then I like the 10-5 setting. For track usage I normally drive a GT3 and feel suspension should be a bit harder.
Previous car was a V40 T5-R Heico on which I fitted a lowered suspension.
8-3 bit too bouncy but 10-5 is fine for me. Personal preferences I guess.

#17 ·
MrSideways, is that DOT5 you are describing? If so, thought also its that that stuff foams.

#20 ·
No ATE Superblue is a DOT 4 race fluid much like Motul or SRF. Except it has a Blue dye it it which apparently isn't very eco friendly so they banned the stuff a couple years back. Most of the racers found out about the ban and bought every bottle they could before the ban happened. While it's not the highest temp stuff out there, it's great because the dye lets you know when you've flushed the system fully, so it's very handy when converting a street car with standard DOT 4 to race fluid.

#21 ·
Had great fun... Yet :facepalm:.... made me think what I could do to make it faster.and better ...
Now officially have a wish list :
Ferrata downpipe & stage 2 from RICA
PFC Brake fluid and different pads
Hardest of all... Heigth adjustable shocks or lowered springs maintaining the original ohlins quality dampers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.