SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Anyone else have issues with rear rotors grooving?

13K views 59 replies 17 participants last post by  Foxy 
#1 ·
Only 8,000 miles on the car. Appointment with Volvo on Friday to check them out. Fronts look fine.

Left side is the worse of the two (Disregard rust):

Right Side:

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Yes, normally a temporary thing with a rock catch. But nothing like that around here, there are no rocks or anything for that matter. I'm with P50, something unusual in our case. Having grooves that large and distributed along the braking surface with 5,000 miles or less means a problem.

#9 ·
I think because of the E-brake Polestar opted to keep the OEM rear callipers and use a more aggressive pad to balance the brake system.
The wear looks like for instance Hawk pads. Some have a tendency to eat the rotor.

#10 ·
I replaced the rear rotors and pads on my S80 V8 (which are identical to these) and they looked grooved like that after only a week or two of driving. (Maybe 500 miles). Doesn't seem to impact performance or wear rate though.

#16 ·
This looks like a rock caught on the pad as it is very deep and only on one spot, which is what Polestar suggested could be the issue with my rears as well. I am less convinced this is the issue with my car as it is more spread out and on wider areas. Volvo has my car right now and is checking it for debris or if it is the pad compound causing it.

#13 ·
This happened on my 2012 S60RD rear brakes and the dealer said it was normal, but mine wasn't nearly as grooved as yours; mine did however get a nice deep groove similar to Kskpsu has. My 2015 V60RD has some slight grooving appearing in the rear brakes as well.

#17 ·
So my car is back from being serviced and I have an answer. The damage was caused from exactly what I suspected, brake pads that were not up to the task. The pads were literally falling apart causing the damage. My rotors were replaced under warranty...

All shiny and rust free

with the proper Brembo pads...

Hopefully it is just the pads that were the issue and not in fact the rear brakes that are not up to the task as many have pondered. I have posted about this on the OfficialPolestar page and will update that as well.

#19 ·
I hope it is much more than just a label because those Volvo pads fell apart after just 8,000 miles. I need to have full confidence in my brakes because I drive on some pretty shady roads as far as lack of runoff/guardrails. One thing is for sure, as I posted on the other thread, I won't be looking into ceramics or any aftermarket pads anytime soon. I am going to let Volvo figure out what's going on with and pay to maintain this braking system for now. I'll deal with the brake dust for now.

#20 ·
This is how mine look after 8000 miles and some serious track driving. Up to this point for me they look normal (except that one deeper groove on the front left). I habe the Volvo rear pads:

In my experience, my former tracktools discs did not look different.
What do you think??

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#23 ·
Looks pretty normal to me, which is encouraging. The deep groove is most likely debris related. P* said on the Official thread that they are going to investigate and get back to me. Hopefully this was just a set of defective pads and not something more.

#24 ·
Rear Brembo rear pads are available to those of us who received Volvo spec pads, according to this Polestar post:
Hi P50GT,

A section of the production got a euro spec Volvo rear pad due to shortage of Brembo pads. There is no difference in performance, just the brand. The cars with the Volvo rear pad will get the Brembo pad at the next service.

Kind regards,
Polestar

#25 ·
I think that is talking about when the pads need to be replaced which can be 30,000+ miles from now, which will no longer be covered. If you saw on the Official thread, P* is investigating what happened with my car, so we will see what comes of that. I could have simply received a defective set as Foxy tracked his with Volvo pads with no issue. There were a few variations of the Volvo pads that we got, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

#26 ·
I had on 2 occasions this past spring, a rock getting caught in the rotors. It had to go into service to remove the rocks, which is a bit irritating. On another note, has anyone thought about the calipers being painted in Rebel Blue?

#27 ·
I considered it and then was talked out of it. The heat caused by the brakes would cause it to discolor within a year I was told. Colors like Grey, Black, Red and Yellow don't show the discoloration as much which is why you see brake calipers in these colors.

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.