SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

I cannot believe I took the plunge!

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  SpetsnazOp 
#1 ·
I feel I am visiting a "foreign" land here...My wife and I have been on the lookout (for the past 3 months or so) for a nice, used car, worth no more than $9000; preferably a Volvo but we were open to another "safe" brand in order to ship it to Greece where we spend at least 2-3 weeks every year. We usually rent a car and we end up spending close to $700 each time. Starting next year, she would like to visit (with the kids) for 4-5 weeks and there is no way we could afford to rent a car for this long.

As we were resigning to the fact that we may have to buy a 2 or 3-year old Ford Focus wagon, an old customer came over with her '92 944 GL and decided to trade it on an S60 AWD. The moment I saw her car I said "that is the one"! 103,500 miles where a single service was never missed! The exterior had a few dings (no biggie) and although the color is kind dull (Dark Gray Metallic) it was in great shape...no scratches! The interior is gray leather and almost spotless and the car also has ABS!

The A/C was not working (the compressor was fine, the R12 had leaked out) so no biggie. I gave it to one of our detailers who used a clay brick, stripped it and buffed it really good! The finish now is as shiny as glass!!! The interior was shampooed and it looks awesome! I took the old A/C charging system out and converted it to the CFC-free R132a. All in all, my investment is still under $2000 and the car is ready to be shipped (next Spring).

I cannot believe that my wife and I go out of our way to find a reason to drive this old (but full of character) Volvo! We love it! The car, despite it 12 years of age, does not rattle or creak. It is as quiet as a mouse! Sure, it has not guts but once it gets going, 80+mph is no problem!

I cannot believe we own a...RWD Volvo!

Yannis

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: I cannot believe I took the plunge! (GrecianVolvo)

Quote »
I cannot believe we own a...RWD Volvo!
If RWD Volvo owners call FWD "the dark side" ...

Then welcome to the bright side!

A nice find, even if it's "old-tech" compared to the FWD's. That's a good thing for folks who actually have to work on them, though, which is why I highly doubt I'd ever buy a FWD/AWD Volvo.

-- Kane ... 4 RWD Volvo's, spanning from a '64 P220/M40/222k to a '91 745Ti/M46/209k.

#3 ·
Re: I cannot believe I took the plunge! (PWRPUFF)

Actually if I sold the milano, one of these in a stick would be a perfect replacement canidate, wagon too. Hope you enjoy it. The ABS might catch up to you later but who cares..

#4 ·

I don't think you can beat a 940 in the value department. They drive like a dream, are dirt cheap and easy to keep running, reliable as radioactive decay, and can travel over 500 miles on a tank of gas. I can't see another used car with that combination of attributes available for $2-$3K. I got one coworker into a '92 940GL, and another in a '90 740T for all of the above reasons.

Enjoy your new purchase!

#6 ·

Excellent buy! Welcome!!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#7 ·

Congrats on the purchase! My dad drives a 1995 960 and well the smoothness of RWD is just great. It is a shame Volvo has gone on a crusade against oversteer... the V70 and S40 I drive now just aren't as .... I dunno it just feels different. And the turning radius on the XC is just horrible! Imagine how much more desirable a RWD 850 Turbo would be....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.