SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Technical info needed to modify my 740 for rallying

634 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  zjay 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
I own a 1990 740GL with 120K miles. I want to modify it for rallying. The class that I'll race don't allow turbocharge and limit's the motor to 2.4L, so I'm ok with the B230F.
The first mod that I want to made is changing the tranny. It is now a AW70 and I want to replace it with a M46.
The thing is that the only M46 I founded are on a 240. So the question is : will it fit with a B230F? If it fits, what would be the modification that I will have to do to make it work (clutch pedal, shifter rod, drive shaft,...)?
When rallying, the goal is to reach your top speed the fastest as possible and to have a lot of torque, but in the same time, you need to go fast. I know that the M46 have an electric OD, and I don't think I'll need it at all. Will it be possible to remove it from the tranny and to replace it with a housing? If yes, what housing?
With that 4 speed tranny, what would be the best rear diff that I could use for my need (if possible LSD)? Also, I should hit the rev limiter a lot without the fifth gear, Is there a way to bypass it?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Alain Brousseau

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.