SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

m46 manual swap

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  PWRPUFF 
#1 ·
Will an M46 manual tranny fit in a 940?

#2 ·
Re: m46 manual swap (e940)

Yeah, it can be done. Easiest bet (relatively speaking) is to pull the parts (tranny, shifter/trim, driveshaft, pedals, slave cylinder, etc.) from an 80's 7-series turbo. I say 80's because they only got more rare as the years went on. I've heard figures of less than 3% total in 1990 to about 1% in for the 1991's.

BTW, I must say you're a rare driver here in SoCal - actually wanting a manual. It was that reason why the previous owner of my '91 745Ti had such a hard time selling it - 'tis a manual.

-- Kane ... then I showed up and paid him in cash for it.

#6 ·
Re: m46 manual swap (e940)

Unless you were able to look at it in person, I won't be so quick to jump on an ebay one. Make sure it's a 740 tranny too - although a 240 tranny is the same internally, the shifter linkage/position is a tad different. You still need the ancillary bits aforementioned too - I can't say that every seller would or could provide them. Then there's the question of how well it's working - it's OK if it was off a wrecked car (since it needs to be running to get into a wreck), but don't be suprised either if the box that's being peddled is their own worn out one.

As for a mechanic ... nope - I'm a DIY. Can't afford a mechanic when one has a fleet of 4 RWD Volvo's already, including a project '64 P220.

-- Kane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.