SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

92 960 won't start

564 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jevka 
#1 ·
greetings..........i have a real saga for you to consider. this '92 960 had an engine swap. the motor installed was a used motor from a '93 960. required exchanging torque converters, as OE converter did not fit into the '93's crank pilot. started, ran great. two weeks later, developed an extended crank condition. two weeks after that, failed to start all together. found out through extensive research that the toothed sensor ring on the ring gear that the CKP reads differs from '92 to '93 - they are reverse copies of each other - this eventually caused the '92 ECM to fail to recognize the CKP signal - this was the fix for a fellow who had the exact same problem after an "other year" engine swap. replaced the ring gear with the original from the '92 engine - no luck. the crank sensor signal is perfect all the way to the ECM, yet i get a no CKP signal code from the ECM. the ECM has been replaced twice, and the main engine harness swapped with one from a running '92 960. the crank sensor from this vehicle works in another 960. no spark trigger or injector pulse present while cranking. occassionaly, my noid light will glow constant with the key in off position??? what's up with that?? does anyone have any ideas what is going on here?? also - all grounds have been replaced, as well as positive battery cable and battery.......one more note - the auto trans lights, on the shifter console, flicker madly when the key is turned on!?!?
thanks for any thoughts.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.