SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

740 turbo wagon

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  JRL 
#1 ·
I'm currently in the market for a 740 turbo wagon. Here's what I'm thinking about:

1. 5 speed manual ('90 or '91)
2. blue combo inside and out
3. around 100K miles
4. spend about $2,000-$3,000.

Does this sound realistic? What are your experiences with this car? I've currently got an '04 S60 T5 GT and I really want a stick shift (which I've always had until this car....wife made me do it). So now I want to keep my S60 but want to have an older Volvo in a stick that my wife could learn on and would still be a useful car.

I've done some research and I really think I'd like the 740 wagon. My search is on. So if anybody has one around central Indiana and would let me drive it I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

#2 ·
Re: 740 turbo wagon (soledoc)

IIRC ...

- Blue interior went out in the late 80's. Tan, grey, and black were the common interior colors later on.
- IMHO, low mileage (100k is low!) is worse than high mileage, as in order to rack up the miles, the car would have to be taken care of.
- Price varies around the country ... may not be out of whack where you are, but that's on the low side for like where I am, and waaay low for like the Pacific NW.

And saving the biggie for last ... it's not going to be realistic in finding turbo wagon with a manual. Figures on all 7-series with manual trannies ranged from under 3% to just about 1% in the final two years. Factor in a turbo and a wagon - it's not going to be easy.

The mid-to-late 80's 7-series are easier to find with a manual. Alternative is to get a newer one and have a tranny swap done, whether a M46 or a Borg Warner (Mustang) T5.

Of course, you may just get lucky and find one that crosses your path when you least expect it ...

-- Kane ... who does have a '91 745Ti, factory M46. 209k+ miles, original turbo, original clutch. No, it ain't for sale.

#3 ·
Re: 740 turbo wagon (PWRPUFF)

Thanks for in input.

I'm starting to see what you mean....but I'm not going to give up. I will find what I want. I did see a 740 non turbo (which would be fine) that was blue/blue for $3100. Not bad, but it wasn't a stick. I want that most of all. I could probably compromise on the color if I had to. So now in order here's what I'd like.

1. 740 wagon
2. 5 speed manual
3. blue exterior
4. blue interior
5. turbo
6. under 150K miles
7. under $4,000

Now maybe my search will be a bit more realistic and fruitful.

I've also seen some 240 wagons out there. Seems there's more or those than the 740 wagons. I could get a 240 wagon also if it's a stick.

#4 ·

Considering your current fleet, however, you may want to rethink on a non-turbo. They aren't exactly speed demons.

Yeah, 240's with manuals were more common, but it's a relative term, as the majority are still auto's. 240's are also more utilitarian in design and ride. With proper upgrades, however, they do handle better than a similarly upgraded 740. In either case, iPd sway bars are a necessity if you want to have any fun.

My vote is to just find the best 740/940 turbo out there and have a manual tranny swapped in. It'll be less aggravating than to wait for the "perfect" one.

-- Kane

#5 ·

How so? 240s handle better than 740? I see your point on a non-turbo. At this point I'm not too concerned about that. I just want a utilitarian car to haul the dog around...teach the wife on a stick...and plus just to have an old volvo sitting next to my new volvo.

I'm not too keen on having to swap a transmission. Sounds $$$.

I don't thinkg the 940s came in a manual transmission.

I'll keep looking and let you know. I really would prefer the 740 at this point.

#6 ·

That is correct - 940's here in the US did not come with a manual tranny, hence the comment about needing to swap trannies.

The handling difference is after putting in all the basic iPd goodies - sway bars, chassis braces, lowering springs, and Bilstein's. With that, a 2-series handles better than the 7-series with the same upgrades.

From the factory, however, a 7-series handles better than a 2-series.

-- Kane

#7 ·

So I've found a '90 740 turbo wagon. It's silver with/grey plush/leather interior. Seems to be in excellent conditions from the many pictures I've seen. 5 speed manual. Well cared for with records from mecanic. I've got him down to $3,000. 152,000 miles.

It's not the exact color combination, but at this point that's not the most important. The silver/gray is not a bad combo and wouldn't show the dirt too much. I think I may bite. Any thoughts???

#9 ·
Re: 740 turbo wagon (740TMass1991)

thanks for the reply....I was wondering if anybody ever checked this 740 site. The guy has told me I've got first right of refusal on it. I heard from JRL here on this site that 740s are junk! Is this true. I haven't heard that from anybody else yet. What's your experience been with the 740 turbo wagon.

I also think this sounds like a good deal. The only other one I've found was a blue exterior/grey plush 1990 740 GLE with 159K miles 5 speed but it's in NYC for around $2,500 plus the cost of getting it to Indianapolis. So I don't think that'll work.

#10 ·

For what it's worth: I own an 87' 740 turbo wagon. It currently has 175,XXX on the meter. It runs great, but with any car age takes it's toll. electrical connections will start to go as well as other wear and tear items. I love mine because it's as solid as a rock and runs like a champ (knock on wood, hehe). I have another car for a daily driver now and would like to bring back the original beauty of mine.

#11 ·
Re: 740 turbo wagon (VR6Fool)

That's great. I also will not be using this as my daily driver. Just probably weekend journeys to the grocery, dog park etc....plus teaching the wife to drive a stick. I hope it's worth the $3,000 investment in a 15 year old car with 152K miles.

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by soledoc »
That's great. I also will not be using this as my daily driver. Just probably weekend journeys to the grocery, dog park etc....plus teaching the wife to drive a stick. I hope it's worth the $3,000 investment in a 15 year old car with 152K miles.

You should be happy with it. If possible test drive it before purchasing. check all hoses for signs of deterioration. good luck.

#13 ·
Re: 740 turbo wagon (VR6Fool)

Well...I drove down to Louisville last weekend to look at this car. Junk. NOT what the pictues showed nor what the guy said. Drive Ok but the shifter was very tight and not smooth at all. Lots of old hoses in the engine and they were not volvo parts in their. Nor any Bosch products either which is what volvo recommends. Dirty engine...also had been in several wrecks with body work that didn't show up on the photos. home made fan for the radiator after wrecks...all in all not worth the $3,000 he was asking.

Needless to say I passed and I continue my search for an '89-91 745 stick shift turbo. wish me luck.

#14 ·

Told you so.
There are fewer and fewer of these still running properly.
To find one that was cared for well by an enthusiast is, well, just barking up a tree.
Actually I have a 740 silver wagon (5 speed) but it need work.
IM me and we can talk about it.
JRL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.