SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1990 740 turbo wagon

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  petehampton 
#1 ·
OK guys,

I have just talked to someone in Louisville (I'm in Indianapolis) who has 1990 740 turbo wagon. Silver w/ grey vinyl interior. Says is has glossy paint and no cracks in the interior. 152,000 miles. His parents' car (3rd owner). They have all volvo stamps for service records. Sounds to be well cared for. 5 speed manual. A/C not working well. Some radio display issues. Asking $3,500.

What is your experience with this car/year. Is this a good price? Should I try to haggle. Should I drive down and test the car out? I'm pretty interested in adding this as my first "beater" car to have for fun. I'm keeping my current S60 as my daily driver. This will be a car to have for weekends, dog hauling (one vizsla) and teaching the wife to drive a stick.

What do you think???? Thanks.

#3 ·
Re: (myshtern)

How terrible is that price? I got him down to $3,000. I did a search on the link you gave me and I couldn't find anything better or even similar to what I'm looking for.

#4 ·
Must be nice! Hell I just picked up a 1990 760 Turbo Wagon that needed a head gasket for an old outboard motor. After a new top end job by a great machinist, new brakes, belts, hoses, tires etc.. I have less than $1500.00 in it. There are deals out there if you look around. I also think unless its in mint condition that its too much. Check out http://www.kbb.com and see how much it books for. Never pay more than the trade in price or wholesale if you can help it. The only exception is an exceptionally clean car. I use a simple formula for hoopties; I need to get 10,000 miles out of every thousand dollars I spend on it. Anything more is over the top. If you think the car has 35K left in it before you have to spend a dime on it well then , thats a horse of a different color, hee haw! I had never turned a wrench on a Volvo before a month ago. Now I know how everything under the hood works and can at least id the components and hoses/belts..Nice stuff to know even if you dont subscribe to the shade tree mechanics creed, Chrome dont get you home!!! Good luck and happy hunting.

Jerry

#5 ·
Re: (tractorshaft)

Kelly blue book value is between $2700 and $3100 (good - excellent) for private party. so that seems fair. The owner has a detailing business and the car looks very clean. I've seen about 20 pics and I can see nothing inside or out that would suggest poor care. I'll see it for real in about 2 weeks and let you know.

#7 ·
Re: 1990 740 turbo wagon (soledoc)

I have a similar hauler wagon that I picked up last spring. A manual trans turbo wagon was key for me, and there aren't many around. A decent color and new turbo closed the deal. I paid a fair price, probably a premium, but that's OK. I have a 90 744T and a 91 745T both with manual trans. I have had a couple other Volvo's of this vintage as well. All but one required $500 - $800 in the braking systems. The A/C is expensive in my experience. Shocks, struts, bushings (just tie rod) and decent tires make these cars feel like new if they haven't already been done. A used radio is cheap and slides right in.

The RWD cars are a lot easier to work on than the FWD (for you or a mechanic). Plus they are tough for hauling and light off road duty. And at $3K there's not a lot of depreciation left on what was once a $28K car.

There is a great buyer's aid at http://www.brickboard.com in the 700/900 FAQ section that has lots of detail.

#8 ·
Re: 1987 760 turbo wagon

I recently picked up an 87 760 turbo wagon for $500. Mechanically very good and has all the records, but cosmetically challenged. Paint is worn and has started flaking off the aluminum tailgate. Perfect for hauling the dogs around and trips to Home Depot.

Anyone know what causes the paint to flake off aluminum? Would an inexpensive respray last, or would the same thing happen again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.