SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Problems With My 91 740

963 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wagonnut 
#1 ·
Allright, I am having a tad bit of trouble with my 91 740. This problem has only come up in the last year. When I start it up it sputters a little bit and then dies. This only happened a few times and not so many that it made me worry. But recently when I'm driving the car doesn't let me accelerate nd then sputters and dies. Today on the freeway the car stopped accelerating and then once I slowed down the car sputtered and died. I am thinking it may be a fuel injection or spark plug or electrical problem. If anyone has any ideas or knows of a quality mechanic in the Santa Cruz area your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Problems With My 91 740 (740Volvo)

It's either a fuel related problem (i.e. fuel pump, fuel regulator, injectors, etc.) or it's an electrical problem (i.e. fuel pump relay, spark plug wires, etc.). Hard to tell you exactly what it is. I would first start with the fuel pump and make sure it's putting out the pressure it's supposed to. If it is, check at the pressure regulator for matching pressure. If it's not matching then you have a blockage most likely in the fuel filter (in-line).

#4 ·
Re: Problems With My 91 740 (740Volvo)

It could also be the computer on the right side passenger kickplate,my 88 740 turbo went through the same problem.I did fuel injection svc,changed both fuel pumps,fuel pressure regulator and relay and it still stalled intermittent.Sometimes 2 weeks before a stall.I replaced comuter and it ran well for two months,I had to sell it because I relocated otherwise I would have kept my grey box..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.