SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

looking to buy a '91 740 Turbo

790 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  VR6Fool 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase a '91 740 Turbo with 225K miles on it. The owner says that he is aware of the following problems: right rear is making a "clunking" sound, believed to be the shock, Tranny is shifting hard right now, automatic tranny, might need fluid, might need a rebuild? I would like to use this car as a commuter car 76 miles/day. What kind of gas mileage can I expect? Is 20MPG fair if I drive responsibly? Does anyone have a high mileage 740 Turbo and what have your experiences been with repairs? The price is 2,000, close to the Kelley Blue Book. Is it a good commuter car? How long could the major components of this car last? Is there any good reference material/reviews so I can better understand what I am getting into if I do this? What I really want to know is if this checks out should I buy it or would I be better off buying a Honda Accord for the same price to get better mileage and better reliability? I prefer the Volvo but need to make an economically based decision.

#2 ·
Re: looking to buy a '91 740 Turbo (vwbusdriver)

I don't remember much about the 7 series suspensions and such .. if the tranny is reeally rough u might want to avoid buying it... or suggest the seller try a tranny flush which wouldnt cost him more than 100$ prior to selling the vehicle... otherwise I say offer 1500$ .. we sold a similarly seasoned 740 last year for 1500... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#3 ·
Re: looking to buy a '91 740 Turbo (HPTFunk)

In my recent experience the junk yards are full of these cars. I am going to pull an sweet B230FT out of a wreck this weekend. I know even if I build it up performance wise I can always sell it unless I decide to drop it into my shaggin wagon (91, 760 Turbo Wagon)> I get 18 MPG driving the hell out of it. I know if I did not enjoy its pep I could save a couple of bucks on gas. Also realize that you should always burn hi-test in the turbo, especially in the summertime when the dreaded ping/detonation can occur. It also helps the engine run cooler by burning it year round. Here is my hooptie forumla = I need to get 10,000 miles for every thousand bucks I spend on it. simple..If I get 20, 000 miles out of a fix-er-upper and have 2 grand in it, I win. Anything more is bonus...If I left it by the road after 20 K I still drove it for 10 cents a mile. 100 miles a day, 10 bucks or $300.00 a month. Less than some peoples car payment. Have fun

Jer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.