SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Major stalling problem with my '90 740 Trubo

720 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  donald willson 
#1 ·
I have had a recent problemw ith my 1990 740 Turbo stalling on me. It happens after I have been driving for a few minutes or for a few hours. It has happened when I am stopped or when I am driving. There doenst seem to be any rhyme or reason to the stalling. I have taken it to the shop three times and of couse they can never get it to stall for them. They have replaced the fuel filter, which was in need of replacement, but that has not helped the problem. They can't find anything wrong with the car and I am at my wits end. I have to now drive a rental car because I cant rely on my car to get me somewhere. It has been getting harder and harder to get the car to start back up after it stalls and I know it is only a matter of time before it wont. If anyone has any suggestions on wht to have the mechanics look at or where to go for help I would greatly appreciate it.
Adair

#3 ·
Re: Major stalling problem with my '90 740 Trubo (aderd03)

I had a similar problem on earlier model 740 and it turned out to be a Hall Effect Sensor in the distributor. As the car warmed up there would be an expansion of the circuit board, this pulled the chip apart, so there was no signal to the ignition. After sitting for a few minutes the board stabilized and the car would start with not problem for the rest of the day. If you are handy you can replace it yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.