SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Are spacers safe?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Pasi 
#1 ·
Good evening all.

I may be looking to get a set of 17" Pegasus wheels for my 940 next spring but I'm a bit confused about safety with spacers/adapters

I haven't seen many user comments about all possible things that should be noticed when using spacers. For example, I remeber someone saying that triple digit speeds are a risk.

Apparently many here in the forums has experience using spacers so if possible I'd be glad to hear them.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Are spacers safe? (Pasi)

If the wheels fit without the spacers skip the spacers. If the wheels won't fit without the adapters (spacers) consider different wheels of proper offset and plus(*) tire size for long term performance and safety.

Check out

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrad...dClar=

and here is a Volvo plea from ipdusa.com

'Wanted set of Volvo 17'' Polaris wheels good cond. reasonably priced. Also wanted Tan leather seats F/R from a 91 940 Se or 92-94 Volvo 960 in XC. Factory seat covers will be fine as well. Thanks'

#3 ·
Re: Are spacers safe? (gdill2)

I used to have spacers with 17" rims on my previous car. Drove at 200 km/h + (130-140 miles/h) from time to time and sometimes it might vibrate a little (you feel it a bit in the steering wheel), but never any safety problems.

#5 ·
Re: Are spacers safe? (11110000)

Quote, originally posted by 11110000 »
I believe WELL-MADE spacers are perfectly safe for anything you'd do on a public road. I'd only worry if you put in some serious track time.
I believe this is true, but I hear with spacers that are too wide, they can come loose during very hard cornering. But I suppose very good spacers--those made with a custom lip are not prone to such risks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.