SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

poor MPG

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Mrb00st 
#1 ·
I was recently disappointed by the poor MPG of my new S-90. It's a 1998, so I didn't expect perfect. And I didn't have a chance to fill the tank and drain it myself. All the reviews I read placed the MPG in the range of 22-26 mpg. On my first trip I only got 18 mpg. What might be the problem, anyone have an idea?

#2 ·
Re: poor MPG (Leeownsans90)

With a perfectly tuned car and benign driving habits expect 19 city (no ac and no idling) and 24-26 highway (no ac, under 70 with cruise on).

Start with a full tank at zero on the trip meter, fill up when near empty at the same location and record the miles driven and gallons used and the odometer reading. One tank is not a true barometer of mpg so repeat this over time. Unless needed, do no work on the car or make improvements unless you wish to start your mileage quest anew. After 4-5 tanks fill up again, record the total miles driven and total gallons used. Note that you must begin at a point in time on your record where the tank is full and the odometer reading is know. At each fillup your final number is the odometer reading and the gallons needed to fill the tank.

If you are unsure of the state of tune on the car you may wish to start measuring mpg after a full service.

George Dill

#4 ·
Re: poor MPG (dewfpox)

I usually get about 24 mpg on the freeway, but in the city it is around 22 or so. If you drive with a lead foot in the city, I wouldn't be too surprised if you got around 18 mpg. Like others have said, make sure you car is in proper tune and is using the right weight of oil.

-Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.