SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Interior parts

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KayakR 
#1 ·
Due to primarily to the previous owner's lack of proper care, my 940 has some rather serious issues with interior fittings. Specifically, the dash plastic is faded and cracked in several spots, and the leather on the front seats is dried and cracked.

Does anyone know of any cheap and easy fixes for the above items that will preserve the original look? A molded plastic dash cover would be great (like those available for 200 and earlier), and I've seen generic leather-look vinyl seat covers, but nothing Volvo-specific.

Are these things available for 940's, or will I have to bite the bullet and replace to dash and seats entirely?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Re: Interior parts (Rob S.)

You are correct about not finding the dash repair cap for your 940 - I had no online luck either. A fabric dash cover is available as I have one on my 960 to preserve the perfect dash.

Seat covers are available at JCW but those too are not supported online and would need to be ordered from the paper catalogue or toll-free line.

George Dill

#3 ·
Re: Interior parts (gdill2)

I saw those seat covers in JC Whiteny, they look pretty good, kind of BMW-style. I just wasn't sure if they'd fit right. I guess that's probably the best way to go.
The 900s just don't seem to have the same level of aftermarket support as the long-lived 240.

#4 ·

I don't think you are supposed to put anything on the dash on these cars as they have an airbag which cannot be restricted upon deployment. I have a 960 I just bought and am finding (after 4 240's) that they require a lot more attention to maintain. Mine has done 100000 km (60,000 miles) and is in good condition but there are a number of small issues.

Can you help with these?

My radio has no light in the tuning LED window so I cannot see the tuning frequency at night. Has anyone done a bulb replacement for this problem?

Also the outside temp LED, at the bottom left of the dash. Does this have a light so it can be seen at night, or does it only have a warning light that comes on in the event of freezing road conditions as a warning light?

#5 ·

You're in luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
I happen to have this INCREDIBLE
leather (and vinly) repair guy here.
He is reasonable and can make your seats look like new.
As for the dash I think he can fill and redye it to look like new also.
You may have to come over to the Main Line, a small price to pay for the best leather repair person I have ever used http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
IM me and I'll give you his name and number
DO NOT RESPOND TO ME HERE AS I RARELY LOOK AT THE RWD FORUMS
JRL

#6 ·
Re: Interior parts (Dargan)

There is a small, replaceable light bulb in the backside of the outside temp gauge. You need to pop out the instrument cluster to access it.

Pass side airbag didn't make it into the 940 until '94, so if you've got a '93 or older, you can put stuff on the dash with impunity.

#7 ·
Re: Interior parts (11110000)

Thanks for the reply. 11110000 (Binary ?)
I notice you have an 83 240. I have owned 4 240's and still have 2. One a 91 240GLE my wife drives and the other an 86 240 5 speed electric overdrive I have done 600,000km in and is now owned by my son. I moved to the 960 recently (I travel about 200km (120miles) daily to work and wanted some luxury and safety. I am happy with the comfort and power of it but a bit daunted by the complexity of it. I live on the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane in Queensland Australia. (Its a lot warmer than Connecticut!)

I have found these forums very useful for the little things that you can't find in the manuals. eg; after a search I finally found a how to guide to replace the two small lights in behind the LED screen on the radio so I could see the radio frequency at night while driving.

Anyway thanks again

Michael

#8 ·

Replacing seats is less of a hassle than it sounds. I recently added 940 seats to a 740 and it wasn't too difficult. Since early 960's had the same seats as 940's, there was a good supply of seats around. Call some recycling yards and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.