SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Water pump failure

722 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  petehampton 
#1 ·
Anyone familiar with changing a water pump on 1989 760 turbo wagon?
Does the radiator have to be removed?
Which permatex is best with the paper gasket -- 2B non-hardening sealant or water pump RTV silicon?
Any tips -- is this a fairly simple job or?

Thanks
dnvolvo

#2 ·
Re: Water pump failure (dnvolvo)

It's pretty straightforward. You can do it without removing the radiator, but you have more room to work if you remove it -- and your wrench can't slip and put a hole in the radiator if it's not there.

Don't know about permatex; I didn't use it when I replaced mine.

The trickiest part of the job, for me, was levering the pump upward to seat the O ring while replacing the bolts. It's not that difficult, just sort of a 3-hands operation. The FAQ at the Brickboard site has excellent details.
http://www.brickboard.com

#3 ·
Re: Water pump failure (petehampton)

Thank you very much for the response. I did change the water pump and your information helped me accomplish that!

In the end, I left the radiator in and covered it with a large piece of cardboard. This worked well and there was plenty of room to work.

I read all the brickboard info and spoke with three different mechanics for input. I found that as for the permatex it seems to be based on preferences by the mechanics. Some use it and some don't.

I used just a very little ( a few spots) to hold the gasket to the block for assembly.

I used petroleum jelly on both o rings in and out.

I used a short section of about a 1 inch dowel to lever the pump up.

I also took a number of photos if anyone needs them including a shot of the underside of the cylinder head.

Thanks again!!
dnvolvo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.