SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

940 turbo stalls after booting it

940 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  omega6_virus 
#1 ·
Hi folks, i'm the proud owner of a 92 940se turbo. It runs fine apart from one thing- if I floor the accelerator, then push the clutch in straightaway, the engine dies. There are no problems restarting it, I just pop the clutch back out and it goes. I have run through all the things in the haynes manual that I am capable of- valve clearances, throttle cable adjustment, new sparks and leads, gaps checked, air filter etc. Can anyone shed some light on this before i start spending big bucks to have it investigated by a volvo dealership?
yours,
Jon MacInnes

#2 ·
Re: 940 turbo stalls after booting it (JonnyMack)

First off, Glasgow as in Scotland? clan MacMillan here.

It's possible it could be a simple fuel delivery problem. Fuel pump might slow at high rates, could be a clog in the lines, bad injectors, or old/dirty filters. Is it only when you floor it? Or only after you floor it and release the clutch? I wouldn't think it would be a fuel issue if it only happens after you release the clutch. Or is the car stalling and you're releasing the clutch to try to save it? I'll ask my mechanic-friend Monday.

Also, what about the distributor? Has it been replaced as spec'ed?

#3 ·
Re: 940 turbo stalls after booting it (omega6_virus)

Aye, glasgow in bonnie scotland is where i stay. It is only when i push the clutch in after flooring it that the problem occurs.The guy who sold me the car said there was a recent fuel filter change(~10 months ago), but i haven't checked this. thanks
Jon MacInnes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.