SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

quick dumb question (cosmetic change of headlights)

899 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Turbo16psi 
#1 ·
my 740's got the 4 square headlights currently, wanted to convert to just the 2 standard rectangular lights, this as easy of a thing as i think it is? just get the newer style lights and bolt in, or is there an extra trim piece or something that accompanies it? same core support? all my parts are vw, so i gotta buy the stuff first to find out if it works or not, otherwise i would http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: quick dumb question (Weaver)

The '90+ headlights are way different - the hood and fenders changed too (once in '90, again in '91).

The "bolt-on" method is to get some E-code lights. Otherwise, find other lights out there of similar size and fabricate a mounting method for those.

-- Kane

#3 ·
Re: quick dumb question (Weaver)

If you actually go through the effort of switching to the late-model lamps on your 700, you will probably hang yourself once you realize the light output is CRAP.

As mentioned, you can do an E-code (european lights) conversion. I'm not familiar with the requirments for your model year, but you'll need at least the lights and support brackets, possibly the euro corner lamps, too.

Another option, if what you really want is performance lighting, is to replace the sealed beams with H4 replacement lamps (recommend replacing the wiring harness as well). Then you can run some better bulbs, like 80W/100W, or even 100W/130W.

#4 ·
Re: quick dumb question (11110000)

so the ecodes are the rectangular shaped ones? i think thats the ticket for me, i got into volvo, and this car, cause my VWs are to the point of modifications where they're just crap as a daily driver. i got the itch to do a little to the 740, but not a whole lot other then some suspension and small cosmetic changes. ecodes would be perfect.

any links for a source?

thanks for the info btw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.