SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Steering Play, what's acceptable?

642 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DgesTradingPost 
#1 ·
Just picked up an '86 740GLE Turbo. Seems to have more play in the steering than I would Like, (About 1 to 1.5 inches) and seems light. Does this sound normal, or should I contemplate further inspection and repair replacment of parts. New to the Volvo, and bough it for safety, reliability, and to transport my RC boats as a weekend car.

Thanks for the help
Chris

#2 ·
Re: Steering Play, what's acceptable? (cgdm1168)

If the boots are intact and not leaking and the ps fluid (clean?) stays at the same level over time then the rack may need replacement. The ps pump must be securely mounted and the pulley/belt compatable and running in the same plane as the other accessories. The car may have an aftermarket ps pump with non-stock pulley diameter. Be sure all front suspension/brake/ systems are ok before ordering a rebuilt rack.

George Dill

#3 ·
Front end Blues.

Hi, had some experience with the front end of my '89 740. Seemed tobe fague and bumbling on pot hole roads and alittle swimming at speeds on a long curve. This model is so well isolated from the road and insulated sound wise; that you can have semi serious problems in the front end and not be as aware of them as with lesser cars; in my opinion. A few of my problems i'll list and may or may not be indicitive of the bread. I have boats I trailer around with no dought, delitarious effects. Where the radius arms join the frame rail the heavey bracket which interfaces the two had developed what looked to me tobe a serious stress crack which had rusted at the edges. It was big enouph to put your thumb into. No dought the added weight of towing the boats transfered to the front brakes on braking; pushing the connection beyond design parameters. I got a weld shop to weld in some reinforcing plate on both sides. They did a nice job/costs $300. Had tie rod ends put on then the rack blew the steering fluid; seals gone. Had it changed out, don't want to even think about the bill anymore. Now it works without a hitch and feels right. Well, next to no feel at all but it's sapost tobe a very cushy ride. After all that I got a deal on a '95 850 turbo wagon; 150k mi. and this spring it will be up on blocks getting prepared for the next 100k mi. and the 740 will be getting me to work and towing the boats for another while. Got to love the 740. Better luck to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.