SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

740 heater problem

687 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  PHLI72 
#1 ·
Hey Guy's,
Anyone had any problems with the heater on there 740.

Mine simply does not work. There is a slight variation in air temp coming fromm the vents when i switch from cold to hot on the heater controls but its still freezing cold....................................... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm thinking the heater matrix may be blocked !
But, I'm also thinking this could be a real pain to get to to replace it !
anyone had any luck, just flushing an blocked matrix through ? maybe in reverse . if so which pipe is the "in" and which is the "out" ?
Does it work ?

Really need to get this sorted out ASAP as the Mrs is on my case now

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 740 heater problem (PHLI72)

No cheap, easy fix here. If you plan to keep this car (yes!) then make the full repair while you are fixing the fuel gauge.

This includes blower motor with relay and switch, heater control valve with new hoses and clamps, heater core (new or be very sure the old one is faultless) and full coolant flush with new thermostat/gasket. Lube and adjust the vent controls plus be certain all vacuum lines are solid and all electrical grounds and connections are clean/intact.

Details at

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/

George Dill

#3 ·
Re: 740 heater problem (gdill2)

All done,
Sorry to contradict your advice George but a quick reverse flush with fresh water under a small amount of pressure blew all the crud out.......WOOHOO.
Heater now works good as new.
Just one small problem

The Mrs is now moaning "Its too HOT"

Thanks anyway.

Phil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.