SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Turning up a 91 volvo 740 turbo?

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jacob_Royer 
#1 ·
I am wanting information about turning up the turbo on a 91 740 turbo waggon 4cyl/auto. It has 130k miles runs great no leaks but needs a bit more pep. Basicly what i'd like to know is

1 How much boost does it put out stock?
2 How much boost can you safely handle?
3 How do i turn it up? a boost controler?

I do know that a real boost gauge is a neccecary for this to keep an eye on things. Also will turning this up a bit help on the mileage? This car is ran 100+ interstate miles daily at 70/75mph with some really big hills and is averaging around 20/21mpg. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor also new airfilter. Also wondering if a cold air intake would help?

Any information would greatly be appreceated, I checked with turboforum.net and got reffered to you guys. Thanks again.

#5 ·
Re: (gdill2)

Got a boost controller off ebay for $9 today going to look for a good boost gauge. I dont want to alter the exaust too much because i want this thing quiet. What can be done to make it more free flowing without making it loud? I don't have to worry about smog testing so will removing the cat help on this? otherwise the car runs perfect has a fresh tune up etc. It averages 20/21mpg and it seems to me that this could be alot better. Have a 87 740 NON turbo with auto and it got around 25/27 you would think the turbo motor would be equally efficient..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.