SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Will towing my 740 w/auto trans behind my motor home damage the transmisson?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of carrying my 740 with automatic transmission with a tow dolly behind my motorhome. Will I damage my transmission by leaving the rear wheels on the pavement?

Just wondered if anybody is aware of damage occuring from this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Will towing my 740 w/auto trans behind my motor home damage the transmisson? (harleyplug)

Yes.

If the tow dolly and hitch have enough clearance consider placing the back wheels of the Volvo on the dolly. Just tie the steering wheel loosely to the column and leave the key ON with the battery disconnected. If you find yourself needing to back up this rig, don't - it won't track backwards for any distance.

If you decide to tow with the back wheels on the ground consider unhooking the drive shaft at the rear diff and securing it out of the way of the bouncing rear axle housing. This is a MAJOR inconvenience when you want to drive the Volvo without prep.

Also, to enjoy your motorhome trips without a hitch (pun?) be sure to keep higher pressure in the Volvo tires on the ground as the extra loads will generate much heat.

Happy towing!

George Dill

#4 ·
Re: Will towing my 740 w/auto trans behind my motor home damage the transmisson? (harleyplug)

If the Volvo's front wheels are on the dolly then locking the steering column is ok.

If the front wheels are on the ground and the last thing in towing order you will want the wheels to self-correct as you move forward whether turning or straight. If the tow dolly is compatible with the motor home (hitch weight/height, etc.) then the car will track behind obediently until a panic stop is executed by the motor home driver. ABS?

I you plan to load heavy stuff in the Volvo keep the load as low as possible and as close to the tow dolly hitch as practical.

George Dill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.