SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

vw convert needs advice on turbo

591 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
I'm a vw-girl who's attempting a switch to the world of volvos.
We just picked up an '88 740 turbo wagon with 176,000 miles for really cheap. (she's beautiful and her name is Gilda)
She seemed to be in great shape -interior and exterior are fabulous with just a couple of minor exceptions, and during the test driving it was great.
She had a few known problems (headliner, brakes, window motors, air intake hose, gas gauge sticking, front driver's strut blown...) and we figured there were a few unknowns as well.
I took it to one of my local volvo mechanics (Recommended by a friend) who fixed a bunch of the more important known issues and a couple of the hidden ones as well (gaskets in distributor and a badly "repaired" pcv valve) and then discovered that the turbo's gone. (I'd only driven it a very little bit and having never had turbo, didn't know it was supposed to be any different). Anyway, the mechanic thinks we're better off selling it as-is and getting a newer model with less issues.
I'm not sure what to do... is it worth repairing or should we sell?
Having been a vw-driver for so long, I have no problems doing a lot of my own work but I don't want to get in over my head and end up with an exploded car all over my garage that I can't get back together!
If we put the $$ into the turbo replacement, is she likely to last us another 200,000 miles? OR will we need to put her out of her misery sooner or later anyway?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jennifer

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.