SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What to look for in a used V90?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
Hi people!

I'm considering the purchase of a 1998 V70 with only 72k miles on it. Seller has it listed for less than KBB Private Party value.

What problem spots should I be looking for in this car?

Thanks,
Eric

#4 ·
Re: (hans747)

If the services are done and the car has a followable history (CarFax?) then you can do no wrong with this model. My '96 965 is just fine.

The Volvo V90 is the 965 wagon which is the last rear-drive (only) model and has no major technical issues. This model has very little aftermarket support as it came from Volvo maxed-out, luxurious and with few options.

Parts and Volvo tech labor are expensive but available. Most major-city world-wide Volvo dealers have a tech with 960/90 experience.

If the car runs and drives to your satisfaction go for it!

George Dill

#5 ·
Re: (gdill2)

Thanks Gdill!

Can you describe how the handling on this car should be? I've driven some late nighties V70s and was surprised how wishy washy the stearing and body roll was. then again, i had a feeling that these particular cars were abused by their previous owners.

I know these are big cars, so how well do they accelerate?

The unfortunate part is that I have no way of telling if the car is running and shifting the way it's supposed to. For instance, i test-drove a low-mileage Passat wagon (the same type of car my wife uses as a daily driver), and I knew instantly that it had endured a hard life. I wish I had the same experience as with this style car.

#6 ·

I just bought a 97.5 V90 with 41k on it and I love it.

As far as acceleration, its pretty good for such a big car. ( isee a chip in my future, however)

There is a bit of body roll, but it is a wagon. The turn radius is amazing- better than my GTi.

I would say things to check for would be oil leak at the rear main, chech the motors for the front seats (my passenger is bad) and make sure the sunroof works correctly.

Good luck. I am very happy with my purchase.

#7 ·
Re: (brettpep)

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to look into those items.

It's nice to have a place to start looking. That way, i can determine whether or not it's even worth following up on. The seller is asking about $8,000.

Is that a fair price? That's lower than what KBB.com says it should cost, but I've tended not to agree with KBB's assesments in the past.

#10 ·
Re: (brettpep)

Well, i looked at the car. It drives great. there are a few little things (alignment, tail light, tailgate shock absorber thingies) that need to be fixed aside from the timing belt. Carfax checked out.

I'm getting it for a really good price.

The Volvo dealer wants $500 for the timing belt, tensioner, and pulley. They say the water pump will be extra. Is the timing belt something that I could have a regular general mechanic work on? Or is there anything in its replacement that requires volvo-specific knowledge?

Thanks,
Eric

#11 ·

For a first-timer with no previous Volvo work the job would take some time to get it right the first try. A good shop manual would be needed. The Volvo dealer work comes with a labor and parts warranty. If you are a VCOA member ask the Volvo dealer if they give a VCOA discount. You can order the parts online much cheaper than dealer prices but may not save any money if your mechanic needs many labor hours.

George Dill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.