SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can I transplant a '82 manual 4-speed + OD transmission into my '94 940 turbo?

821 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  benglar 
#1 ·
I just got a 1982 4-speed manual transmission with Laycock J overdrive in good condition. I would like to put it into my 1994 940 turbo. Can that transmission + OD handle the '94's torque? Any advice on feasibility, techniques, or things I might easily overlook?

Thanks for the help.

-- Bruce

#2 ·
Re: Can I transplant a '82 manual 4-speed + OD transmission into my '94 940 turbo? (benglar)

Yes, you can do this. You'll need the shifter setup from the 7/9 series, and the front half of a manual-equipped 7/9 series driveshaft. You can decide for yourself whether you want the cable-operated clutch pedal or the hydraulic setup (hydraulic is propbably easier - all manual 7's were equipped this way.)

Of course, you'll also need the appropriate flywheel (with the tone ring for LH2.4.)

#3 ·
Re: Can I transplant a '82 manual 4-speed + OD transmission into my '94 940 turbo? (11110000)

Some further details for your consideration:

My car is a '87 760 sedan body with a full turbo engine/auto transmission transplant from a low-mileage '94 940 wagon. The transplant included the dash board, all instruments, all engine controls, the rear differential/wheels, and the entire wagon's suspension. Oh, and the larger front disks. It was a lot of work, and I could not have done it without the Volvo electrical schematics.

I have a donor '82 240 with a good manual transmission and overdrive. I also have a repaired but marginal mid-80's (don't know the exact year) 740 wagon manual transmission with overdrive, hydraulic clutch, clutch/brake pedal assembly including booster and brake/clutch master cylindars, drive shaft with center bearing, transmission support crossmember, bell housing, shifter cage, rather trashed shifter (no knob, and somebody took a grinder to the top of the shaft), flywheel(don't know the tooth number), several lightly used clutches, replacement cable clutch fork with pivot, and all the bolts from the donor car. I don't know whether it is a J- or P- type overdrive from 740.

I believe the only important parts I lack are a 7xx/9xx overdrive solenoid and a new clutch bearing.

So, my *hope* was to use the '82 240's manual transmission + OD, wrap it with the 740 bits, and put it into the 760. Then I'd have a manual turbo 760 -- which will be much more fun than my automatic transmission.

If the 740 manual transmission has a P-type OD, can I swap that onto the 240 manual transmission?

I intend to rebuild the OD using an after-market kit - any advice on this is appreciated. I also intend to replace front/rear transmission seals, rear engine oil seal. Depending on wear/appearance, I will replace the drive shaft center bearing, U-joints, clutch hydraulic line, transmission/engine mounts.

Any advice you have on the foregoing is greatly appreciated.

...My wife thinks I'm crazy and I haven't told her EXACTLY what this will cost. Or how long it might take. But I really hate driving an automatic.

Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.