SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can I transplant a '82 manual 4-speed + OD transmission into my '94 940 turbo?

802 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  towerymt 
#1 ·
I just got a 1982 4-speed manual transmission with Laycock J overdrive in good condition. I would like to put it into my 1994 940 turbo. Can that transmission + OD handle the '94's torque? Any advice on feasibility, techniques, or things I might easily overlook?

Thanks for the help.

-- Bruce

#3 ·
Re: Can I transplant a '82 manual 4-speed + OD transmission into my '94 940 turbo? (benglar)

It will work, and if the trans is in good shape, it will do fine in a stock (or near stock) 940 Turbo.

You will need the correct flywheel from a LH2.4 manual car. It has a tone ring for the crank position sensor.

You will need the 700 series shifter assembly (the shifter location in the 7/9 series is ~4" further back than in a 240).

You will need a driveshaft from a 700 series car that had an M46.

Also need the pedals, of course. And they used both hydraulic and cable actuated clutches, so either figure out which you need, or choose the one you want if either will work (I really don't know, but some 740's used cables, so that's a possibility).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.