SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

24 valve head for 940?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sfcarguy 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a 24 valve 740 head will fit my '95 940 wagon?

#2 ·
Re: 24 valve head for 940? (RearWheelPaul)

Quote, originally posted by RearWheelPaul »
No. The 24 valve head was designed for a block with twin balance shafts.
I think fitting a 6 cyl head to a 4cyl engine might be the hard part.

If you meant the 16v head, then yes, it could go on a 940 engine, however it would require additional work such as valve relief cuts in the pistons, a custom t-belt tensioner and some more parts swapping (manifolds, or example). Not worth the effort unless you have aspirations of high power output through turbocharging.

#3 ·
Re: 24 valve head for 940? (towerymt)

Yes guys, I did mean 16 valve head. Gee, if all I have to do is install all the 2 cam stuff: manifolds, head, etc. that does not sound to bad. But...I'm not familiar with the 2 cam engines. Do they not have the same block as 740/940? What's the buzz on these 2 cammers? Are they problematical? How much power do they make? I really don't want to do an engine swap, so if I could make a bit more power with a better top end, that would be excelent. Thanks!~!

#5 ·
Re: 24 valve head for 940? (gdill2)

I get it that lots of people like turbos. I like turbos. But that wasen't the question. What I asked was "will it go" without a lot of hassel. Has anyone done it? I mean, of course I can use a turbo. But nooooo....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.