SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What to look for when buying 740/940?

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  towerymt 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm helping a friend look at 740/940's this weekend and I was wondering if there was anything in particular I should be looking for? What are common problem areas. Most 740/940s in Australia have the 8valve 2.3L engine (96kw). Is a turbo or 2.8 V6 a poor choice for reliability? The person buying is fairly old and wants something cheap, reliable, comfortable and easy to drive.

I welcome any advice.

Nick.

#3 ·
Unfortunately a used Subaru Impreza would be at least $7,000 (AUD) more than a Volvo...
Additionally the Impreza doesn't meet all the criterior. They are not comfortable (by my standards anyway), and Subaru servicing is really expensive.

Any useful comments on the 740 or 940? Everyone I've talked to says these things go on forever. I'd like to believe that considering I drive a 22 year old Peugeot that hasn't let me down yet.

#5 ·
What was the last Peugeot sold in the US? They never stopped selling them here in Australia. If you are refering to a 505 then no. I drive one and love it but wouldn't want this guy to bother me each time he has problems with his car.

I was thinking of recommending a Toyota Cressida to him (did you get those in the US? Medium size RWD sedan with I6 engine) however a friend has one and has poured money into it (over AU$4000) over the last year. Seems the Cressida is famous for blowing its headgasket and having a weak auto.

Mechanically is there much of a difference between the 940 and 740?

After all I did sign up with a Volvo forum to find out more about Volvos, not Subarus or Peugeots

#6 ·
Re: (nick505)

Volvos 2,3 litre engines in the 740 and 940 aren´t easy to kill. Beleive me, my ´87 744 GLE soon turns 360000 km and is still going strong... After I get a newer car as replacement, I think about turning it into a rally car... I rely on this car every day to get me to work, to help me at work (I shuffle gravel and such together with a wheel-loader, therefor many rough roads...) and it never lets me down. If I could recommend ONE car for anyone who wants something that´s reliable, safe, comfortable and so on, it would be a 740 or 940. Preferrably with the N/A 2,3 litre...

As a sidenote, one of the major insurance companies here in Sweden uses facts and statistics from real-life accidents to bring out a report that states which cars are safe, and which are not. Unfortunately Saab wins most the time... But the funny thing is, that the Volvo 240 is stated to be at least 15% safer than the average car. The 740/940 is at least 30% safer than the average car. This puts the 240 in the same "class" as such cars as ´97-´05 VW Passat, ´93-´00 MB C-class and so on. The 740/940 is in the same class as the ´98-´05 Audi A6, Saab 9-5 and 9-3 and so on. Says something about Volvo´s (and Saab´s) work for safety...

Link to the list, just in Swedish though, but you all should manage fine anyway... http://www.folksam.se/forskning/index.htm

#7 ·
Re: (KKO)

Volvo 240 grew from the 140 which has genes in the 120...

The 240 was the seed for the 740/940. The 960 is a much modified 940.

All are RWD with rigid solid rear axles and struts up front.

ALL Volvo gasoline 4-cylinder engines will run 500,000 KM with no major repairs - some much longer. The 16-valve engine and some turbo applications had quirks but no major failures. Any V6 engine in a Volvo better be a Buick and not from France.

As to reliability - a Volvo maintained from new and away from salt will outlive five Holdens and provide a safe ride for all belted passengers.

A "modern" Volvo with lamda sonde, mass air meter and numerous sensors, control mechanisms and computers will run perfectly and reliably until one or more components falters. True for any car.

If you would like to read all about 240/740/940 reliability and maintenance visit

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/

The 240/740/940 trio had common engines during their life cycles.

George Dill

#8 ·
Re: (gdill2)

Quote, originally posted by gdill2 »
All are RWD with rigid solid rear axles... and struts up front.
Except the 960 sedan & S90 and later 960 wagon & V90. And the '91 940SE, a 960 with a B230FT, rear sway bar, and Garrett T25 (a real odd duck of a car).

And you can't mention the 140 and say all have struts up front, either.

Just some minor details.

If you end up with an early 960 or 16v car, read the Brickboard FAQ's very carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.