SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Newbie help on a 960 3.0

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nato740 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 960 3.0 Auto which is displaying a "Yellow Up Arrow" warning light.

I understand that this relates to the transmission and that its stopping the transmission from going into 4th gear.

I'm having difficulty understanding whats causing this.....my local Volvo dealer says its a defective solenoid in the gearbox and that its going to cost $$$$ to put right......I've also read on another Volvo forum in the UK, that it may just be down to a defective relay that controls some aspect of the transmission. They mention that the solder in the relay dries out and causes the relay to break down randomly.

Can anybody shed any light on this problem....has anybody had this before and if it is the relay where abouts is it located????

Many thanks

Martin

#4 ·
Re: Newbie help on a 960 3.0 (Sekal)

Like Sekel said My 965 had a very sticky (W button) Trans Mode switch in console. I think someone ate something alot and dripped into it alot but not sure. Replaced it very inexpensive really with new one. And once I had a like new fuctioning (W nor S nor E sticking at all) one, the trans reset itself in an hour. Thou mine was not in (W lit) third on start off winter mode it was showing the yellow up arrow on cluster on first start of car, and would go out in a few blocks (was never blinking). Now all buttons work well and lite up as should. Once it reset itself (if you could call it that) it shifted fine again. My thought always was, it was getting a slight code error(in the trans ECM) from the sticky switch and reacting with a funky shifting pattern at first start off.

Modified by Nato740 at 2:53 PM 12-7-2005

Modified by Nato740 at 2:55 PM 12-7-2005

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.