SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

turbo conversion to normal aspirated

953 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  towerymt 
#1 ·
I have a 91 745 turbo with 190,000 or so miles. The turbo gave up the ghost tonight, blown oil seals, Anyway to run without turbo. This is an old work car/daily driver that I have little in and want to keep that way until I have time and money to work on it. Need wheels not power now!! Thanks

#3 ·
Re: turbo conversion to normal aspirated (RearWheelPaul)

Quote, originally posted by RearWheelPaul »
...the turbo motor's low compression ratio (around 7 or 8:1) would make the car practically undrivable.
8.7:1...still higher than the B21A at 8.5:1, and that was also smaller in displacement. It will be slow, but not that bad. A B21FT at 7.5:1 would be pretty bad, though.

Need an n/a exhaust manifold, n/a downpipe, exhaust modifications, n/a ECU, n/a injectors (and remove resistor pack), extend the intake piping to reach the airbox (turbo box on the opposite side as the n/a cars). Maybe some other parts, and make change around some vac. lines, etc.

Used turbos are cheap. Assuming you're doing the work yourself (as it would be insanely expensive to pay someone to de-turbo the car), just buy a used/junkyard turbo and swap it. Check turbobricks.com for sale/wanted (have to register to use the classifieds sections).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.