SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

87' 740 turbo accelerator stuck & other problems...

742 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
hi all,
this is my first post here, i am not very familiar with volvos but have spent alot of time under the hood of vw's so hopefully there are a few similarities with fuel systems...anyway, here's the peoblem:
my girlfreind's volvo seems so have a problem where the accelerator sticks and when i try to stop the car, it, of course, stalls. i never thought that the problem could have been a stuck accelerator but after a stall and a half hour of screwing around i finially got the car to start and it would not go below 3k rpm. i got the car a couple of blocks and parked it but there was no way i was getting it back to my house without killing the transmission.
today i went to the car and started it, it started but ran "skippy" (if that is a valid description) as if it were only firing on one or two cylinders, and with every fire came a succsessive puff of black smoke out of the exhaust. while i was looking at the exhaust the car stalled and i could not get it started again so i came back here and typed this.
it should be mentioned that the car is basically a "beater" but i do try to keep it running well. the last time i had a problem with it, it stalled on the NJTP and the problem was a bunch of bare wires around the intake manifold, i taped them up individually and hadn't been having so many problems until now, but looking back, it seems like the stall i had then happened similarly so maybe it is one of these wires being screwed up that are flooding the engine with gas. anyone who can offer advise i would really appreciate it.
-andrew
PS-the accelerator is not physically stuck in any way and the cable and linkage on the intake manifold appear to be working correctly.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.