SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

'92 940 T stalls in traffic

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Ivar 
#1 ·
Have had the car stall in traffic on past two three-minute short trips away from the house. Weather is hot and muggy here in Texas and this seems like an electrical fault as it stalls suddenly and without warning. The Check engine light flashes briefly, or so I thought. The only other electrical problems are with (1) the speedometer jumping around even while sitting still, and (2) the failure of the AC controller. New battery, self installed, seems to operate just fine. What is the problem? Appreciate all informed feedback. Many Thanks.

#3 ·
Re: '92 940 T stalls in traffic (gdill2)

Thanks very much for the tip. Test Mode 1 showed the signal missing from the speedometer. True most of the time. Can I fix this or must I take it to a shop?
On test Mode 2 The LED stayed faintly illuminated. Is this normal?
Nothis flashed after pressing the button two times for 2 seconds each.

In test mode 3, I did not hear all the items tested but the cycle seemed to start again after the idle air solenoid valve test.

For the EGR system test , the LED blinked 10 times then 10 again. Normal?

What do you think I should do now? Take it to the shop?

Thanks again.

#5 ·
Re: '92 940 T stalls in traffic (gdill2)

The car has been off the road for 3 weeks and now will not start, despite driving it in without further problems. Any ideas about what it sounds like might be the problem? Should I have it towed to a dealer garage? Wish I could fix it.

#6 ·
Re: '92 940 T stalls in traffic (Ivar)

OK, so I didn't complete all the ignition diagnostics procedures. I just now ran Table 2 socket 6 and find that the RPM sensor signal is absent intermittently, so I may have a faulty RPM sensor. How do I replace it, or must they do it in the shop? Thanks much, in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.