SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

what wheels/tires fit my 94 940 Turbo wagen?

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Trevor 
#1 ·
what wheels/tires fit my 94 940 Turbo wagen?***Got 'em!!*** Thanks!!

I want to put 16 or 17" wheels on my 94 torbo wagen. Will front wheel drive wheels fit? If not, what will? What size tires will fit?

Modified by sfcarguy at 2:05 PM 8-25-2005

#3 ·
Re: what wheels/tires fit my 94 940 Turbo wagen? (sfcarguy)

Quote, originally posted by sfcarguy »
I want to put 16 or 17" wheels on my 94 torbo wagen. Will front wheel drive wheels fit? If not, what will? What size tires will fit?
Wheels from a front wheel drive Volvo won't fit w/o spacers (usually in the form of wheel adapters). 850/60/70/80 series use the same bolt pattern but a larger offset that can be corrected with spacers on a 940. You need about 20-25mm offset, and most of those FWD wheels will be 43-49mm offset.

A good set of wheel adapters to fit FWD wheels will cost about $275-300.

#4 ·
higher offset is better if you're looking for the really wide wheels. I am running 17" pegasus rims on a 940 using 25mm adapters in the front and 32mm in the rear. The 32's in the rear is purely cosmetic, but the "filled out" look with the wheels i nthe wells looks good. The 25's in the front also allow me to have no rubbing even at full steering lock using 8" wide wheels and 235's

#5 ·
Re: (ACBarnett)

Thanks guys, for the good info. I can hardly wait! Now, if only someone has some used wheels, I'll be in biz. The Pegasus wheels would be ideal, but I'm open to others. I'm in San Francisco, so wheels in the bay area would be good, but I'm often in Orange County, so any in that area would be OK too.

#7 ·
Re: (ACBarnett)

You know, I really appreciate your response. That was EXACTLY what I wanted to know: how big can I go. Yes, I certainly DO want to fill those wheelwells. I just got 17" R7 Ronals and big (225)Pirellis. Yum,Yum!! Thanks for the input. 17x8 and 235's on your car. Good grief!! It must look great!! Model of conservatism that I am, I got 17x7's..........
***But when I got there...17x8's!!! They look very cool. At first I thought they were ballanced wrong, but it turned out to be me that was unballanced; the new tires just transmit more road feel than the (tiny) old ones: everything's cool!

Modified by sfcarguy at 11:26 PM 8-26-2005

Modified by sfcarguy at 11:28 PM 8-26-2005

#8 ·
Re: (sfcarguy)

I have a set of Borbet wheels on my 940. Sure beats the 20 spoke wheels that were stock. The 5 spoke Borbets are much neater and much easier to clean. Got them at Tirerack, and the Borbets are made in Germany. BTW Mr Clean Magic Eraser for auto wheels works great at cleaning off brake dust!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.