SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

synthetic ATF

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Nato740 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with synthetic ATF. It sounds great since it has all the good attributes of synthetic oil, but how about it's coificient of friction,it's compatability with seal material? I don't really want theory; I'm looking for the voice of experience.

#2 ·
Re: synthetic ATF (sfcarguy)

I run Redline D4ATF in my 97 960. When I bought the car it had 66K miles on it in Jan 05 and the previous owner went by the book which meant he thought it had a life time fill. I did a transmission service and flushed the system with the Redline Synthetic D4ATF.
I will tell you, it did shift funny for about 1500 miles after the flush and then settled down. When I say shifted funny my OD kept kicking in and out when going up moderate hills. Now it stays in OD on those same hills. Before the flush it was slow to engage and the shifts were slushy if that is a good word to describe how it shifted. When I shifted the transmission from park to reverse or drive it took about a second or more to engage. Once I flushed it the shifts became instantaneous and direct. I plan on doing a transmission service at 30K and flushing every 60K from now on. When I saw the bottom of the pan and what drained out I was glad I didn't wait any longer to flush it. I also use Redline MTL in my 87 745T's M46 manual transmission. I will never go back to a nonsynthetic fluid in my cars. I have synthetic in the engines, transmissions, rear ends, and the power steering with no leaks anywhere.

#3 ·
Re: synthetic ATF (RearWheelPaul)

Paul- Thanks much for the reply. I'm a Mobile 1 guy too but never tried the ATF. Is "flushing" something more than a trans filter change and a refill?
About 35 years ago I got a mini lecture on synthetic and semi synthetic oils from Bob Weiman, former VP of SAAB US back in 3 cylinder 2 stroke days, founder of Intercontinental Lubricants, and an early synthetic oil proponant. . I wish I remembered more. It was great! I'd love to hear the modern version.
And thanks to the others who responded. It's just what I wanted.

#6 ·
Re: (volvos40t5)

The thought of 100,000 miles trans services is hair raising at best. And down right scary at worse. Hope your S40 proves most common wizdom WRONG. But experience tell most of us it will not be so. Most trans shops with a brain will tell you 30,000 intervals. I have seen Higher mileage (@70,000) cars with no noticeable problems after the first time done then. I have seen 100,000 cars more often then not end within 5,000 in heart failure. My 91 744 has 147,000 (bought with @121,000) now and it was done to the best of anyones knowledge at 70 and is due again @150,000 or so. Shift very crisp and volvo like thank god. Also nice red color on dipstick that is easy to use. My 96 965 however has 126,000 (bought at @124,700) now and has never been done we think. It has shift like the first posters issues when cold sometimes. Nothing really bad warm at all(but shifts nothing like the 744 or volvo 240 like), the fluid is somewhat still red on the dipstick that is insane to use. I am having serious doubts about changeing it now. Both from it going south within 5,000 then or jsut seeing how long it does go doing nothing, and then just rebuild then. If others have good working knowledge of used volvo cars and this(trans) area please post.

Modified by Nato740 at 3:38 PM 11-25-2005

#9 ·
Re: (sfcarguy)

Since you asked sfcarguy it is

N orth A tlantic T reaty O rganisation

Is a quasi Euro military(thou it is MORE then jsut that) group/branch made up of @263 member countries. For more detail on ALL they do, do a search.

My car was built in Belguim (to USA Spec) and then Euro delivered to Scotland where it served as a Staff car in that locations office. Once it/owner rotated out of service it was then shipped to USA (has wierd military papers/passport too). Where I bought it from the guy whom had it assigned to him in Scotland, after he upgraded to a newer one I am told.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.