SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

shift knobs-universal?

800 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pjb2006 
#1 ·
i want to buy a new automatic shift knob for my 1997 960. I'm looking at some sweet aluminum knobs, but i'm not sure if they'd fit. Are all automatic shift knobs universal? I have a book that explains how to take off the stock shift knob and put the new one on, but it never really said if any knob will fit on any car. Also, if anyone has already bought a new shift knob for their volvo, what are some good brands to look at?

#3 ·
Re: shift knobs-universal? (brettpep)

it's one of the books in the haynes series. It's a line of books about modifying cars, engine modifications, and they also make a book specifically for almost every make and model of car (another way to explain how to modify specifically your car). I just bought a book on general customization (underglow, all interior goodies, bodykits, racing seats, basically anything anyone would want to do to a car that is mostly cosmetic) from Advanced Auto Parts, you can find Haynes car books in most performance or car shops (even at Barnes & Noble). It says that most automatic shifters have screws that you can loosen and pull the shifter off with. Problem is, volvo fits into that small category that doesn't have visible screws on its shifters. I'm not sure how to get the old one off, but i know how to get the new one on. I guess i'll go ask the volvo dealership about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.