SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1998 S90 Noise (rattle) when starting and while driving

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nato740 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, 1st post to this site, very impressed!

Question: I run a 1998 Volvo S90, I get a noise (a sort of crackeling rattle) that seems to be coming from under the car near the firewall at start and while driving. The noise is not always triggered by acceleration, so I have ruled out engine, (most likely) I am wondering if this is a notorious problem that any of you have encountered, as I use a certified Volvo mechanic (Exclusively Imports in Whittier, CA) and he hasn't said anything about it. I am asking because the noise is getting worse and I want to fix it myself if I can learn what it is going in. The funny thing is that she doesn't always make the noise, but when she does it is very noticeable. FYI: She always does it on cold start. I appreciate any input you guys can give. Have a nice day.

John Frazier

#3 ·
Re: 1998 S90 Noise (rattle) when starting and while driving (jdfrazier)

I get something similar, only it doesn't appen when starting, only once the car has been running a couple minutes and only at idle. It rattles for about 3 seconds and then goes away for 30 seconds or more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.