SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

'97 960- misfiring--HELP

771 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  aOp 
#1 ·
My car: 1997 960 Wagon, 51K Miles, recently completely tuned, don't drive it too much

Problem: Went to drive the car for the first time in a week or so, but it spittered, sputtered and was blowing blue smoke. I plugged a computer gizmo thingy which told me the #3 sparkplug was misfiring. I removed plug. The bottom was wet with gas. I replaced, tried to start, now it's making a knocking noise.

Like I said, the car was recently tuned up. I really try to take car of the brick. Recently had oil changed.

Anyway- I'm really miffed and pissed. Has anyone out there encountered this problem and if so, do you have a possible solution for me? Could it be the electronic thing attached to the top of the spark plug that's bad or something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David Moran
Front Royal, Virginia

#2 ·
Re: '97 960- misfiring--HELP (RearWheelPaul)

960's are prone to wire failure or more to the point the harness to the coil on plug packs. If the one was not put back right or messed up after being tuned it will miss. Last time I looked at my 96 there are NO plugs wires per-se paul under the central access cover. Now bolgar you have an issue with the garage that tuned it. They messed up the harness easier then you think to do on these with age and not miles either. If it was you, you have an issue with yourself messsing up the harness. You did not say how far nor how hard you drove it after it started missing. If you drove it home missing hard for a distance. Or you stepped on the pedal one too many, to clear it out thinking it is flooded or fouled out. Then you may have blown a cyl or caused a rod to fail due to reving a massively mssing eng. Or a head gasket or such. That could be your knock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.