SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

what do you guys think?

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  vaipunk 
#1 ·
hello all,
I found a 92 940 w/ 179K..appears to be well taken care of, but the seller is selling for his mom, and she did not keep her service records. Car looks nice, minor imperfections as to be expected for a 92.

Also, I found a 90 Acura Intergra w/ 187K for the same money. That car has ALL services records for it's 2 owner life. Well maint.

Any input as to which you guys think would be a better choice?

Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
Re: what do you guys think? (vaipunk)

I will say that it puts me on the fence. Two TOTALLY(apples and pears) different cars. So untill I hear what your after(and $$) in the end I can not say. If your going for JUST A CAR to drive to replace something. And that you can/must know the history(yes a major factor) and do not CARE about the rest. Then ACURA INTEGRA for that reason. If your going for a full(aka more comfortable) size car that will be always known for its VOLVO strong(safe and durable) points. And can see it is in good shape and are not so hung up on the lack of hand on history (coulda/shoulda/woulda), then the Volvo.

BTW neither is a SURE BET either way with or with out history, with almost 200,000 on them.

#7 ·
Re: what do you guys think? (Nato740)

first up, the other car in the family is a 2004 forester. we need a decent second car.
That said car I purchase might sit in driveway one day, and make a 2 mile trip..or be driven 40 miles round trip.

I always have heard about Volvo's being reliable tanks, so that is why I shopped them, and found the 940.

Since it's been a slow process w/ owner I started shoppin subies and others..found zero subies..but that nice acura...so this is where I stand.
Confused, my car pool is about to bail on me...And i have no car.
I would love to find a 240...but they sell so quick...

#8 ·

Like Nato said, they are both so different. The 940 is a big, comfortable car that's still cheap to maintain and will chug along darn near forever, even with some indifferent maintenance. It's a Volvo interpretation of a M-B S300. The Honda is certainly going to be much more engaging to drive, but at the cost of space. Note that despite the difference in horsepower, the 940 still out-torques the little Honda mill(!) I also feel like a 200k mile Honda, even well-maintained, has at least one foot in the grave. A 200k mile Volvo is still a young adult (I have a '93 940 with just under 250k miles, and my '83 240 has nearly 270k).

#10 ·
Re: what do you guys think? (gdill2)

ok...I have bought my first volvo!!!!
Found a 1991 240 sedan, 121K..in pretty good shape! Auto,cloth,PW and a cd player installed. New tires, with a set of snows too!

Gave the owner a deposit yesterday, going back today w/ the rest!

I found it on Craigslist, and was the first to see it..like the ad says..first to see will buy!

can't wait to get it home, I feel MUCH better with this purchase than the Acura..

#14 ·

VERY glad you waited a few days and jsut let it all sink in for you. AM SURE the 240 will be great and jsut what you needed. See waht happens when we jsut sit and relax and think on it a bit. WE find GEMS(or so we hope at this point) out there. Again GOOD LUCK and happy VOLVOING!lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.