SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Replacing Front Rotors

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike K. 
#1 ·
I need to replace both front rotors on my '92 965, should I get OEM or can anyone recommend an alternative? Thanks for all input.

John

#3 ·
Re: Replacing Front Rotors (gdill2)

OEM rotors are fine unless your going for a more performance setup. But I would not use OEM pads. There are MANY MANY brands out there of the new CERAMIC(less likely to eat rotors too fast) style pads that make very little dust or if they do, it is not hard to deal with and clean unlike the black soot form OEM and many others. This is jsut what my 96 965 has on it for three last three months. And rims are easy to keep clean for the most part. Mine were rather abused to start with, and I am slowly retro cleaning them back to a nice state. They are almost there thou, but not perfect nor will they be ever.

#7 ·
Re: Replacing Front Rotors (gdill2)

Thanks George,

Had not considered slotted, is there a noticable difference? I used drilled on my 240 and had problems with stress cracks around many holes in both discs so no drilled discs for me!!! Replaced the 240 discs with OEM.

John

#8 ·
Re: Replacing Front Rotors (andy29902)

Hey Hello Andy in Beaufort!
do a internet search of local parts stores. AUTOZONE/ADVANCED/NAPA/BUMPER TO BUMPER ect. Once you find the pads section they will tell you what they got. And what it is. Look for PBR or what ever they say are ceramic(no metal at all no blends) pads. Like the other poster did above. You can also get them form IPD once the site comes back up(been down for almost three weeks now) or other volvo parts sites. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
BTW you can also do a google(or what ever) search by CERAMIC BRAKES PADS and get results that way too MAIL ORDER. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Nato740 at 12:39 PM 2-3-2006

#10 ·
Re: Replacing Front Rotors (8volvo8)

Good evening 8volvo8,

My experience is that the OEM's cannot be turned if needed. That is per my local Volvo dealer and the local automotive machine shop.

I went with the Brembo aftermarket units. Pads were PBR's(?) from IPD. I've been very happy with both. Make sure you use the provided shims with the pads along with CRC anti-squeal.

Good luck !

Mike K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.