SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

940 tie rod end broke - how to remove bolt?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
My 940 turbo wagon was hit directly on the drivers wheel. The big bolt of the tie rod end broke, leaving only a short stub of the bolt where you would normally use a pickle fork/tie rod separator. There is nothing below that point, as that is where the tie rod end broke. The top of the bolt and the nut is all that is left. How do I go about getting the piece of the bolt out of the "assembly where the hub, etc."?

Thanks for your help!

#3 ·
Re: 940 tie rod end broke - how to remove bolt? (gdill2)

Hi George,

Thanks for your question. (You've been a great help in the past, also!)

I have a new tie rod end to put on, and then I'll bring it in to my sister's business where her mechanic can do an alignment and finish the fine details. All I need is to get that piece of the bolt out so I can stick the other tie rod end up through there.

My Chilton's repair manual doesn't give any detail on the entire procedure, but it looks fairly straightforward. Is there a reference online where I can read more about the components there?

Thanks, George, and anyone else with helpful input!

#5 ·
Re: 940 tie rod end broke - how to remove bolt? (budzag)

Oops, forgot to get back to everyone... a brisk swat with a hammer knocked the bolt loose! I was just worried about hurting something by using too much force. I(It didn't take too much at all.)

The next question was going to be how to keep the bolt from moving while the nut was turned on, but I accomplished that by keeping a bit of pressure on the bottom of the tie rod end with a small bottle jack.

Thanks to everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.