SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

XC90 2.5T/T6 vs. X5 4.4i Comparison Drive

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  patriot 
#1 ·
October 25, 2002

This was just posted on one of the BMW boards (Props to Stretch) by a BMW X5 4.4i owner. Pretty nice and complete review! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

quote:

At Volvo's open day for the XC90 I got to drive the XC90 T5 and T6 (single and twin turbos)... very short courses and the vehicles were prototypes (according to the organizers) but here's some initial impressions.

Build:

Very solid, we were throwing them around quite violently on the track with no squeaks, groans or rattles - the XC90 feels very solid - I would risk saying that it 'feels' more solid then the X5 at the back. My X rear hatch groans and flex's at the rear, the Volvo didn't give any sign of flexing and it really was being put through it's paces.

Power:

Didn't feel like much compared to the 4.4 X, don't know about the 3.0 X as I haven't driven one. The T5 felt lethargic away from the line, the T6 felt more brisk but not even close to the 4.4 X but perhaps Volvo see it as competing more with the 3.0X. The T5 is effective but not sporty, smooth and polished but I wondered if the vehicle was loaded with passengers and luggage if it wouldn't be wheezing while trying to tug it all up a hill.

Transmission:

The T5 has 5 gears the T6 has 4!.. The T5 actually had the better 'box imho. Volvo claimed the extra torque of the T6 meant you didn't need a 5 speed, that was a BS claim imho, the reality is they didn't have one that fit and then sourced the 4 speed from GM. Both transmissions are smooth but the T6 manual mode was a little pointless with only 4 speeds. The shifter was less sure of itself then the X5 - the feel was very soft and you couldn't quite be sure if you had selected drive or not from feel alone.

Also, more then once I accidentally shifted from Park to Manual mode right past drive, it's not hard to do with the Volvo shift pattern. Enthusiasts will demand a 5 speeder in the T6 sooner rather then later or Volvo will need a T6 'R' will a 5 speed box to satisfy sportier drivers.

Handling:

Definitely the T5 wins here, the T6 felt WAY OVER BOOSTED in the steering department and extremely vague on the bends, the 5 cylinder T5 had either less or no boost (couldn't tell for sure) but it gave a much nicer feel for the limits of the tires then the T6 - Volvo will really need to sort this before shipping the T6 as most 'enthusiast' drivers will go for the twin turbo version and will then find it feels like a minivan to drive.

A professional driver treated us to the famous "Moose avoidance test" where we drive straight at a full sized cut out of a moose at 50mph and swerve at literally the last second (actually I thought we were doing to flatten the creature!) the Volvo's multitude of electronic gizmos kicked in to keep the car under control as the driver steered around the immobile animal - I'd love to try that test in the X5 but I will admit to being extremely impressed with how the XC90 performed and I *think* the X would actually have flattened the animal!

Fit and Finish:

Very good, up to BMW standards but shy of Audi who IMHO are the leaders in interior quality - a few obvious mistakes such as door handles and fake/real? wood - they had a car with aluminum finish interior which was very nice but they said that was only for European customers, US gets the wood. The buttons and controls were logical and well placed, it didn't look like they were trying to save money on the gadgets. I particularly like the fact that the GPS screen retracts into the dash to protect it when not in use.

Styling, Comfort and Space:

Very subjective but in my opinion this is a major plus for the XC90, it looks very purposeful from the rear and well proportioned all around. The nose is a little flat but still interesting. Given there is an option for 7 passengers it's amazing how compact the vehicle is in the flesh. An Escalade would dwarf it with not much more room inside. The seats were a little narrow for me and could have used more side bolstering but were very comfortable otherwise. The truck looked to me to be a similar size to the X5. If you removed the snob appeal of the BMW I would actually vote in favor of the Volvo in terms of looks at the rear but the BMW in the front looks better... of course a personal opinion only.

Summary:

Getting out of the XC90 and into my 4.4 X5 to go home I got the impression that the X' was a much bigger vehicle (from the drivers seat it gives that impression). The controls of the X appear dated compared to the more tactile centre console controls of the XC90 and given the price difference the Volvo really stood its ground in my opinion. The BMW did reward with much more tactile handling and performance way beyond the XC90 but you could see Volvo producing an 'R' version which would give the X a run for it's money.

This sort of competition will be good for us as it pushes BMW to provide better justification (through features and improved quality) for the price delta with products such as the XC90. Personally I would wait at least one year into production before laying down cash on the XC90, if only to see do they sort the steering out on the T6 (my choice of the two) and source a 5 speed box or alternatively announce an 'R' version (possibly 2 years).
-Drew

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: XC90 2.5T/T6 vs. X5 4.4i Comparison Drive (Kaizai)

Kaizai,

Could you please let us know about the power and handling difference between 2.5T and T6 (with 7 seates equipped hopefully)? And their noise level difference too? I am not concerned about the comparison with X5 4.4 since I already ordered one (T6 w/ 7 seasts). I would like to hear from you of their power when both 2.5T and T6 are fully loaded with 7 passengers. I would appreciate your information and look forward to hearing of your opinions. http://********************/smile/embeer.gif http://********************/smile/embeer.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.