SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

'97 960 wagaon rear shocks

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  gdill2 
#1 ·
I'd like to raise the rear end of my brick a bit. Does anyone have a shock recommendation? I have a third seat....and when we're all loaded, my car sags. Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

Modified by bolgar01 at 5:49 PM 3-12-2006

#2 ·
Re: '97 960 wagaon rear shocks (bolgar01)

Does your car have a NIVOMAT system? If not then look for a air shock for it. You can raise and lower it as need be. IF you got nivomat not much else can be done other then to replace the shocks as said with air and as well the springs from a NON Nivo car. The two systems (shocks and springs) are NOT interchangeable unless you do both parts.

#4 ·
Re: '97 960 wagaon rear shocks (gdill2)

Not if the system is beat Dill. And it must be on a ten year old car. Or he would not have to ask us this. It is not like it is a outside source pump type of deal. It is jsut a upside down much higher pressure then normal really style shock and a weaker spring deal. Nothing really to self level with if the very expensive shocks are totally shot. Best course is to hope that it is NOT Nivo and get airs. Or retro fit Nivo to non Nivo normal rate springs with airs. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

BTW Dill is your 96 965 Nivo? I thank God My 96 965 with the transverse single fiberglass/plastic spring is not.

#5 ·

Sorry for not checking on your replies folks. My car does not have Nivomat shocks.
One thing I should point out, although my car is a 1997, it only has 53K on it. I bought it November 2004 with 35K. The car is in beautiful condition. I just think the years of not doing much, may have been a factor here. Then again, maybe the car is supposed to sit low, as it does. I would like her to be a bit higher in the rear than in the front. As I mentioned initially....when I put kids in the back...it sags somewhat.
What brand shock do you all recommend? Can I order from VLVWorld or Groton and put on myself?
Thanks.

#6 ·

Nice Volvo, indeed!

Best to replace all four shocks at one fix.

Even new shocks will not prevent the rear of the wagon from sagging under load.

Rear overload springs will raise the back butt will stick up with no load.

I am not aware of an air-adjustable system for this wagon. I'll go look.

George Dill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.