SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Strange vibration issue

665 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Nato740 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

I've had my V90 (wagon) for over a year now. A couple months ago, I had some tie rod bushings installed at the dealer. Since that work was performed, I've had a vibration that gets progressively more noticeable at highway speeds.

First my dealer says its stiff bushings, and it will mellow in a couple months. Well, that didn't happen. Then I take it in and they say it's the transmission mount. Get the mount replaced, no change. Take it back today and now they claim it's my aftermarket rims, which I told them is total BS, since I have had the rims on the car 6 months before they ever messed with the tie rods and never had an issue. (See my other post on jerky dealer service for more issues with these guys.)

I have 4 new tires, which were just mounted and balanced a month or so ago.

Any ideas?

Modified by brettpep at 2:15 PM 4-17-2006

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Strange vibration issue (brettpep)

Yes, it is the tires and new wheels causing the vibration at highway speeds.

Here is the fix.

Return to the tire shop. Have each wheel/tire spin balanced at 40psi with all visible tread debris removed first. If you are using stock wheel lugs/nuts with the aftermarket wheels consider replacing with lugs/nuts specifically for that aftermarket wheel. If new lugs/nuts came with the new wheels proceed.

Be absolutely certain that any wheel centering insert is properly in place. Remount the tires/wheels (you car MUST have perfect front AND rear wheel alignment!) using a HAND torque wrench to 75lb/ft. alternating across the bolt circle. Drop the tire psi to comfort level.

If you are using Volvo V90 lugs/nuts with the aftermarket wheels then expect the vibration to return over time as the wheel seating surface is not compatible with the stock lug/nut.

George Dill

#3 ·
Re: Strange vibration issue (gdill2)

Thanks George.

The rims are the correct bolt pattern with the correct center bore and the correct lug nuts. There are no spacers and no wheel centering rings. What threw me was the fact that I had no problem with "old tires & new rims" until after they messed with the tie rods.

I think I am going to to have the alignement checked first, then do as you prescribe. http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

#4 ·

If the car ran smoothly with old tires and new rims then you would suspect the problem to be the new tires EXCEPT for the fact that other work was done. The alignment may bo ok - just a tire balance problem at high speed.

If the shop used an air wrench on the lugs at 120 lb/ft then the rotor/hub assembly could be distorted. When the 70mph shimmy in my '96 965 just would not go away the Volvo tech rotated all four tires/wheels front-to-rear same side - smooth!

George Dill

#5 ·

How often do you check the tire air pressure? I did not see you ever state that AFTER they messed with the car you infact checked it again. I would say based on my 965 being very prone to air pressure changes. That while they did the tierods they as a favor(not really!) to you checked the air pressure in all the tires. And adjusted it for you. Since you might NOT have looked and ASSUMED it to be what you left it with, CHECK it first then move on to other things. You had it at the ideal for you and teh car pressure, and it might now be too high as per thier kind help with adjusting it for you maybe. I check it EVERY time i take it in for anything. As the tire pressure KNOMES somehow always put some in and make for a harder tire then I like and hense a road noise and vibration at times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.