SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Coincidence? I think not.

809 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nato740 
#1 ·
I just took my Volvo V90 in for service the other day. We pick it up a few days later and drive it the next day to New Orleans for Easter. As soon as we leave the lot, the windshield wiper fluid light comes on. "No problem", I think, "we'll fill it up tonight." Then I notice the fog lights are not working. WTF? I know they worked fine when we dropped off the car, because my wife was driving the Volvo in question behind me at 7:00 AM and had her fogs on. I remember thinking how bright they were. I had replaced the stock bulbs with Silverstars not quite a year ago.

I fill up the reservoir with the blue stuff and drive to New Orleans. The next morning, I notice a huge puddle of blue stuff underneath the car. Huh? "They must have nicked something while they were working on the car", I think. "We'll have them fix it when we get back."

Today, after spending 4 hours on the cars, they say that both foglights burned out at the same time and that there is no leak. HUH? Am I paranoid or does sound like a bunch of baloney?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Coincidence? I think not. (brettpep)

The Silverstars pulled too much wattage and heat-deteriorated the sockets/relay(s) and harness connections over time. The replacement (stock) fog light bulbs may also go soon.

The ww washer jug does not fill to visible full. Down in the filler tube is an overflow drain which dumps on the floor and will really spew if you fill to visible with cool ww fluid then park in the sun. Today in Houston was near 100F+!

George Dill

#3 ·
Re: Coincidence? I think not. (gdill2)

So I pulled the bulbs yesterday and they are both completely broken off (both sides) at the base- not burned out filaments. This to me suggests some sort of shock, not lifespan.

I know about the overflow on the reservoir. What happens in my case is that the tank drains almost completely, causing the low fluid light to come on. It doesn't happen right away, however. Someone else suggested a hose leak that might be heat releated.

#4 ·
Re: Coincidence? I think not. (brettpep)

Have not seen yet that problem with my 96 965. But in theory it could happen for you. Both lights go at same time. And the tank gets a crack in it low in it and drains almost totally over nite. I think thou that they left teh lights on with out the car running and driving it. The lack of air flow made for a very HOT silverstar bulb failure. The tank sounds fishy too. Since it was not cold in TX last week they could not have filled it with watery(cheap) washer fluid and then it froze right? Replace the bulbs and fix tank with a new one or jb weld or RTV and move on. Never be able to prove what if anything they did. Jsut watch for the silverstars to again blow while you have them and not take it in for service. See how long they last. Other then that nothing to tell you really of help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.